i got a boat, now who wants to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratuations on your new child and your new boat -- these aquisitions are usually mutually-exclusive, so all the better for you.

I'm a working DM that goes to Catalina on a regular basis (I was just there today), and I'd be happy to help you out. Please send me a private message and I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.

Best,
Wilton

deputydan1:
hi tom,
man....let's get our kids a c-card asap. that would be great to make some diving memories together, eh?

anyhow, i am in the alamitos bay....marina pacifica.

the boat is 26', 28' (w/ the platform); 4 divers would be nice and snug...

more to come!

-dan

Cool! We're practically neighbors... you're boat is about 10 minutes from my house.:wink:

I hear it's pretty tough to get a slip in the marina there. One of my co-workers has a slip there and was telling me of his ordeal to get it. He just got a bigger sail boat in preparation for a his big retirement trip, but he had to wait several months before getting another slip to park it at.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud... robertarak's 4-diver rule or the one non-diver is essential so somebody is always topside in case something go awry. That would likely require room for 8 tanks plus gear worst case. Trail line, definitely... that should be easy. Another thought, do you have a pole or something that can mount on the side of the boat and use for a 15 ft safety stop reference? I know it sounds silly and amateurish, but you never know when it might come in handy for that or anything else.

Cheers,

Tom H.

One thing I can recommend is if you buy a dive ladder from ebay or online make sure it will fit your boat, I just bought one and the way my swimstep is installed and the angle of my transom its a pain to make it work so if you need a 4 step ladder I will probably end up selling mine. I go over at least every 2 months or so maybe we can swap trips or something I have a 25'er that I trailer. matter of fact I may be there the weekend of the 15th. For dive sites I use frankos map its very handy

Here's a tip -- *always* check the current. You can do this by lowering a 20' line off the back with a two-pound weight and checking to see how how much the line bows in the middle.

I know of a couple who jumped off their boat in the Keys and were nearly swept out to sea. The only way they got back was to hit the bottom and claw back to the anchor line.

I'd also suggest getting your EFR and rescue certifications, and buying a first aid kit and an O2 kit.

you guys are the best!

thanks for all the helpful info...nothing like getting advice from the pros.

i am hoping to get out sometime this mo. at least one saturday early morning sometime....but my little one is keeping my hands quite busy, and i don't want to leave all the strain on my wife (who is a good diver as well).

i will take into account all the info, plan ahead, prep, more prep, and will keep you guys posted.

thanks again, everyone!

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom