Real DIR vs Internet DIR--my personal story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is nice to see a friendly discussion such as this one. Too much of the internet banter ends up being argumentative, and that's just not the point of GUE and DIR. I don't hang around here too much, because I am working/teaching quite a bit, but all of you are welcome to ask me any question, no matter how trivial it seems. I'll be happy to help. And I do travel to teach - I did a class in NC last month.

- Ed
GUE Fundamentals Instructor

GUEdiver:
And I do travel to teach - I did a class in NC last month.

- Ed
GUE Fundamentals Instructor

How many people would we need to get together to do a class?

What is the class limit as far as size?

And what would we need to do on this end to make it happen?

How far in advance would we need to book the class?

What basic skill set should a diver have going into fundies to get the most out of it?

What kind of prep should a diver do before taking the class?

Wow - UnderSeaBumbleBee - you are LIGHTNING fast on the keys! :D

For everyone's benefit, the quick answers to your questions are below. You and I can chat via email or phone to handle more details and see if this is something your team of divers wants to do.

The minimum number is two students, but that puts their cost at $750 each. Three or four students is $500 each. My own maximum number of students is four. Some GUE instructors will take up to six (the agency max), but right now I like to give as much attention to each person as possible. The class runs four (full) days, so booking it is usually a matter of when the committed students can work it into their calendars. For my part, it can be any combination of days of the week. Usually it includes a weekend, but that is not a requirement on my end. Students must also pay for my travel, which is auto fuel or a plane ticket, lodging, tank fills, and admission to dive sites. For example, the three students in NC paid $125 each to cover travel. I would guess for me to come to SC it would be only a little more than that if I drove.

As for what to do to prepare, how many dives / what kind of experience to have, it really is basic. Anyone who has an open water certification can participate. In many cases, those with less dives/experience get the most out of it because they are less likely to have engrained problems that are hard to break. No advance in-water training is necessary; it is all reading and written exercise completion. Students must have their scuba equipment configured for the class; you can see the details by going to the bottom of the "Equipment" page on my website.

Those who want to sign up should also be aware that good basic physical fitness is a requirement. Divers must be non-smokers, and their is a fitness evaluation in the form of a swim test (300 yards in 14 minutes or less to pass) and a 50 ft breath-hold swim.

I can answer more detailed questions for anyone via a PM to me.

Thanks for your interest, and again, let me know what questions I can answer to help anyone along their diving path.

Ed ("GUEdiver") was my GUE-F instructor. He is absolutely fantastic, and worth every penny. :D

SparticleBrane:
Ed ("GUEdiver") was my GUE-F instructor. He is absolutely fantastic, and worth every penny. :D
Why Sparti WHY? is Ed worth it? You are a thinking diver now young man! Give me some reasoned details as to why?

Sorry to be so harsh with you laddy! LOL

First, Ed was willing to drive an ungodly amount of miles from Kentucky to North Carolina to do a class for 3 guys he'd never met -- says a lot about his enthusiasm for diving. :D

He's quite knowledgeable and had a logical answer for everything we asked. He was able to tailor the class to our specific needs -- we talked about our diving history and future goals and he took all that into consideration.

Ed has a great sense of humor that meshed quite well with our team. All around a great guy.

This doesn't really focus on the class but rather the kind of person Ed is -- he was generous enough to let me borrow his H 18w HID during class. My 10w was out of commission (Jason B. has fixed it for me since then, I have such awesome dive buddies! :D :D) so Ed brought an extra 10w for me to use in the class. However, my teammates were all on 18s/21s, so Ed handed me his personal 18w instead. :11: :11: I babied that thing like you wouldn't believe. :wink:

Leah, I don't know you in person but I've read a lot of your posts and I believe that you'd get along great with Ed and I believe you'd find his class quite worthwhile.

You can read our class report here. I did a writeup and posted it towards the end of the thread. Pictures are on page 2. Enjoy!

UnderSeaBumbleBee:
...I have been interested in DIR for a year and am just now--at the end of diving season been able to get my regular buddy to move this direction.
I just noticed this -- what is this "end of the diving season" that you speak of? :eyebrow:

SparticleBrane:
I just noticed this -- what is this "end of the diving season" that you speak of? :eyebrow:
yeah, what's up with that? Winter is some of the best diving all year- no crowds, great vis, and really cool sites! :D

do it easy... she's not diving dry. You guys know as well as I do how much in-water time a fundies class is. Would you want to do it wet in 50 degree water?

PerroneFord:
Would you want to do it wet in 50 degree water?

I just want to know why he won't go to Florida without cocktail umbrelllas? :huh:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom