Missing memorial plaque at Mt Storm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Was up at Storm today assisting with a NAUI OW class and advanced UW Nav. This is the first time I've been there since Good Friday. Been diving Erie and Strawberry along with the Dog Pond in Caddis. I was very surprised to see that the memorial plaque was missing from the motorcycle. I looked around to see if perhaps it had fallen off somehow but was unsuccessful. Does anyone know when it first came up gone or has any knowledge of how it came to be missing. I certainly hope it is being fixed in some way for reattachment. I would hate to think that some slob took it. My info was it was placed there with the bike in memory of a diver/biker, can't remember the name on it( just found out it was Michael Joseph), who passed away and enjoyed diving there. The plaque is a heavy bronze one approx 18 X 24 inches or so. Probably 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. I can't imagine anyone I've run into up there taking it or anyone who would have the crap for brains and ignorance to take it for a souveneir or worse scrap value. Anyone have any knowledge of what happened to it. I fear it was taken for a souvenier or even scrap as there has been alot of things up there screwed with. I also found the kitchen sink smashed, the guages on the bike broken, turn signals broken off, and other things like the shark and dolphin missing or trashed, computer monitor screen smashed. Please do me a favor and try to do this when I'm there sometime. I'd be glad to take you on a little "tour" of some of the lesser known parts of the lake. I used to hunt and there were slobs in the woods. It sickens me to know there are slobs underwater. Difference is we can hide your bodies better after the error of your ways have been "explained" to you! Before I get flamed over taking of souveneirs believe me I'd love to get some Atlantic artifacts where it's legal. I'd like to have some Italian china as well, but this stuff was put there for us to enjoy. If you can't do that stay out of the water or better yet just drown.

I think I recall seeing another post about that recently...but I haven't been to Mt. Storm yet, so I don't know the whole story.

I think you were writing this thread while I was writing the other one.
Me & Garfish were there from about 11:00 till 6:00. Were you with jim's group?

Dave

Nah I was not down with him that weekend. I went down this sunday past with pittsburgh scuba. I did my tech training with them and now helping out and doing NAUI AI/DM crossover. Glad to see you feeling ok and back in the water Dave!

Hi jim:

You seen the condition of the bike also.
I was very much surprised when i seen that someone did a number on it.
Can't believe that a diver would be so destructive.
Yea, i also notice that the monitor was smashed & the lead rope from shore to the comp platform cut.

How have you been doing?

sam

Back
Top Bottom