type of fins for easy cramping legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pico

Reaction score
I just got open water certified and am not a strong swimmer especially using flutter kicks.
For some reason, when I do flutter kicks, my legs (calfs) are very easy to get cramps. I plan to buy a pair of fins to practice swimming more in the pool to prepare for my diving trip in Nov.
Can anyone recommend fins that are better for people who are easy to get leg cramps?

Couple of suggestions as I have had a lot of leg cramp problems. Eating things that are high in potassium like bananas will help eliminate or lesson cramps. Don’t try to bring a banana on a boat as many folks are superstitious about them. Sports drinks that are high in potassium seem to help too as well as being well hydrated.

I started out using Scuba Pro twin jet fins and they were easy on the legs all though they silt the water us something fierce. I got a pair of Scuba Pro jet fins for $65 from www.leisurepro.com and started working out with them in the pool a few times a week doing laps. I am not getting ready to send the twin jets to a new home via ebay as soon as I get the time to put them up for auction.

I feel I have a lot more control in the jets and like how they feel. I had a little trouble with them at first since have a hip that I cracked the corner off of and it gives me fits! The jets have really helped to rehab my hip and now that I am used to them I feel have improved my diving experience.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on what you find that does and does not work well for you.

Not so much a fin recommendation, but perhaps a dive preperatation suggestion. I Had trouble with cramping in calves as well, when I started to end a dive and begin my ascent. I found Stretching before the dive made a huge difference. Most new diver and some more experienced divers miss the fact that a scuba dive is hard on the body, phisically and mentally. Do a few minutes of light stretching before you get your dive gear on. Stertch your lowere legs well, hamstrings as well, and try to concentrate on keeping a relaxed foot while finning uring the dive. It may be more than calf cramps, sometimes poorly fitting booties or fins can trigger leg cramps.

Karl

pico:
I just got open water certified and am not a strong swimmer especially using flutter kicks.
For some reason, when I do flutter kicks, my legs (calfs) are very easy to get cramps. I plan to buy a pair of fins to practice swimming more in the pool to prepare for my diving trip in Nov.
Can anyone recommend fins that are better for people who are easy to get leg cramps?

I had a similar problem. I now own a pair of Atomic Liquid Blue split fins. Now I very seldom get cramps and if I do I can usually solve the problem with the leg cramp release they teach you in the Open Water training class (grab the tip of the fin on the cramped leg and pull it toward you to extend the cramped muscle).

I really like the fins. My wife and daughter also have Atomic fins (wife - Reef Reds, daughter - Smoke on Water).

The only problem is that the fins a relatively expensive. Depending on where you get them they will probably run you around $200.

See if your local dive shop will let you try a pair out in the pool before buying them. By doing so you will be able to tell if they work as well for you as they do for me before committing your hard-earned money.

You might also want to try different finning techniques- for me, the frog kick is much easier to perform without cramping. As a matter of fact, the only cramps I have gotten underwater have been with the flutter kick. The drawback is that the frog kick might not be as efficient with split fins. I have Mares Avanti fins.

pico:

Two suggestions:

Swim in the pool is a great idea. Why not use the same fins that you'll dive with?(aassuming you bought some for your OW certification). I suggest two to six laps kicking only, then same number of laps with just arms freestyle (Take your fins off for that)

Second, alternate between the flutter kick and the breast stroke kick, or do just the breast stroke kick, There is a reason most technical divers use the breast stroke kick - besides stronger thrust pushing more gear, your legs get to rest momentarily between kicks.

Just my $.02, and worth every penny you paid for it!:D

Pico, they have it right. A little TLC and conditioning in the pool and you can dive whatever fin you want.

Pete

I dive and i swim (formerly competitively). It is true that people cramp from lack of potassium, but generally the main culprit is inadequate hydration -- which can become a real issue when you are paddling around in salt water or sitting out in the sun on a dive boat.

Don't guzzle water -- you can get hurt from over hydration -- but drink a reasonable amount to keep from getting thirsty.

Of course, conditioning can't hurt.

My bet is that your leg muscles aren't used to trying to push against so much water with big fins. The general philosophy right now seems to be bigger is better and split is better. That's just silly with respect to swimming or scuba. Water is denser than air -- so efficient and hydrodynamic is better.

You might want to try forcefins -- much less effort than most of the other kinds of fins, I find. And I'm giving "mor-fins" (yes, they look wierd, but I don't care if they actually work) a try.

I'll post here about my experiences.

I used to get cramps, regardless of whether I stretched, made sure I was hydrated, whatever. I switched to Force Fin Pros about 5 years ago, and regardless the conditions or how much I dive in a day ( normally do 4 or 5 dives a day when i vacation) I have never cramped in my Force Fins Pros.
There is a lot of anti-Force Fin people here on SB, and I'll probably get flamed for recommending them, but see if one of your local shops has any in their rental stock and try them for a few dives. It takes a couple of dives to get used to them, but if you're like me, you'll lose the leg cramps, and find you're far more manuverable in them.
Good luck,
C-Dawg

Back
Top Bottom