Real DIR vs Internet DIR--my personal story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roller, I have been interested in DIR for a year and am just now--at the end of diving season been able to get my regular buddy to move this direction. I have spent a lot of time reading material from GUE and doing searches of people on scuba board that I respect like TSandM PerroneFord NWGratefuldiver and a few others to read their answers to questions from divers just like me.

At this point it is the blind leading the blind for the Divas, but we will make some progress I am sure of it.

So my advice would be to read good material, watch some of the GUE videos or some of the stuff by the 5thD-X and start learning and apply what you can. If you aren't in a place to sell all your gear and go with the config you can still work on trim and buoyancy along with some mask and air shares.

I am still new and figuring this thing out as I go along. People that have been through DIR-F and some of the tech and cave classes have really gone out of their way to provide me with information and advice.

I can tell you that as I am starting to get the hang of some of this stuff it has really relaxed me in the water and I have noticed a great improvement in my SAC rate and I am enjoying the dives more when we head out looking for the fish.

Good luck in your journey!

Having people along to guide you makes all the difference!

Leah,
Thanks so much for your post. As a new diver, I was lucky to have had a mentor to guide me right after my OW cert. Perrone has made all the difference in how well I can handle myself in the water. I have read the DIR book by Jarrod and being that I am relatively close to Florida, I have met some incredible people in cave country. I have unknowingly stuck my foot in my mouth not knowing how dang political things are in this area and I have been turned off on a few occasions. For the beginner, I can tell you it is really frustrating, and if you want people to understand your philosophies, it helps to educate them vs. berating them. I have almost completely changed over my gear. I am moving into doubles and I want to explore what the ocean and the springs have to offer. From what I have read in the fundies requirements, I know I will be handed my butt in that class, so I have some more training to do. I plan on taking the course next year. My goal is to be a good diver, to be able to explore safely, and to be a team member that everyone wants to dive with. I think that is what DIR is all about. It's that philosophy that makes me feel more comfortable in the water.

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Leah, thank you very much for your kind words.

Of all the DIR divers I've met in person, some are more pleasant than others, and one can run into some attitude about other divers, unfortunately. But the one thing that's been absolutely universal is that they have been more than willing to accept and help anybody who's interested in the system, and interested in being a better diver.

You don't have to be DIR to be a good diver, or to enjoy diving. But good buoyancy and trim control, the ability not to impact a dive site, good dive and gas planning, and good buddy skills will make any diver safer, and make any dives more fun.

Leah, I might be interested in your group although I'm physically closer to the Mid-West Muck divers. But I have no qualms about traveling.

I'll definately drive over to SC for some dives with y'all. I'm only about 3 hours away.

YEAH! COUNT ME IN TO BE A DIVA! LOL! I am always looking for a group to hang with for dives in Florida. I am in Savannah, I haven't mapped it but I can meet y'all somewhere for dives! I need practice and always need to get wet!

Happy Diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Thanks for the nice words. It's been a pleasure working with you both.

Glad some of you folks are thinking of joining us! I will check with Jocasseegirl and see what dates we might both have available and see what we can work out. I am so excited this!

If you need bodies for a DIR-F class at Lake Jocasse, I'll throw in if I may.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom