question about stroke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalidor's8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend of mine was talking to some ppl today and they were checking out his gear. They called him a stroke and neither of us knew what that meant and I am thinking it is bad since it was said with a smirk. Can anyone tell me so I will know if we should be upset or just blow them off?

A stroke refers to someone who does not adhere to the DIR (Doing It Right) philosophy and equipment configuration, with them its either the DIR way or nothing. Don't let them get to you :)

wardric:
:popcorn:

oh... and doesn't this belong in the DIR forum? :wink: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The OP didn't mention DIR so why should it? And DIR people should be running from this word, not embracing it. IMO, its the worst possible word used in scuba today. Just because a diver chooses to use a different gear configuration doesn't mean they are somehow less than.
Don't be concerned about this idiotic statement, consider the source. Next time you see 'em, give 'em the :mooner:

Scuba Cowboy:
The OP didn't mention DIR so why should it? And DIR people should be running from this word, not embracing it. IMO, its the worst possible word used in scuba today. Just because a diver chooses to use a different gear configuration doesn't mean they are somehow less than.
Don't be concerned about this idiotic statement, consider the source. Next time you see 'em, give 'em the :mooner:

LOL THANKS I will do that, it annoys me to see ppl like that

Some also use it to describe someone diving with an unsafe configuration. Or configuration which to them is unsafe:confused: . Either way it's ignorant to talk about someone that way without giving them an explanation and opportunity to perhaps why what they are doing is unsafe, incorrect, less than optimal etc:no . That's why when I use the term I'll at least give the person an opportunity to tell me to go to hell:D .

Stoke means an unsafe diver. You can have the right gear and still be a stroke.

Back
Top Bottom