Visual Reference - Does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Tigger

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My question for you all is -

Do you make it a regular practice to dive without a visual reference (a line, a wall, etc) and if so, how do you do it? :11:

I have had this happen to me on a few occasions and I find it really challenging, especially in the viz we get here in Vancouver in the summer.

I don't practice it by itself, but it happens on dives on a regular basis.

I use my depth gauge and the floaty stuff in the water to tell if and what direction I am moving. I usually use the gauge to set my depth and then focus on the floaty stuff to maintain it. lather rinse repeat.

As you become more experienced, finding constant visual references won't matter as much because your navigation skills and overall comfort level in the water will improve.

In the waters where I often dive (Texas lakes and quarries), visual references can be few and far between. We often find ourselves in low vis situations, but we want to move from point A to point B. That means setting a bearing, watching your depth, and keep your eyes on your gauges/compass/computer.

I'm the world's worst about straying (usually to port) when kicking in low vis settings, and I'd probably come full circle if given enough time. That's why I simply have to keep my eyes on my console in order to keep from spiraling. For some reason, depth isn't as much a problem for me. Perhaps my ears and sinuses detect the changes in pressure, but I'm not really conscious of it. I just seem to know when I'm rising or dropping.

Making a slow ascent in a really fast current with no visual reference is kind of freaky and neat at the same time. Screamin' along 75 feet above the reef. It's almost like flying.

for me hardest is not drifting on decomp stops... if there is a strong current, i'll be WAY OFF my mark, which sucks...

I do non visual reference dives often......Even in current, your bubbles will always go up...I watch the bubbles for a second or so...then look down for a few seconds......then repeat to desired depth....Nice and slow is the way to go, unless you are in a fast current then you might need to adjust.....

I look at my buddy, then my gages, then my buddy, etc. The first time I ever dove with no visual ref. was my first post-certification dive. About 15' down I began to hyperventilate, grabbed my buddy, signaled up, and proceeded to freak out a little on the surface. After that, we went back down very slowly and pretty much face-to-face. That got me over my "scary abyss" fear for the most part, and I can go down with no vis. ref. with my buddy no prob.

Now swimming with no visual ref. makes me dizzy. I think it's the little swirlies in the water going past. So I put a hand on my buddy's BC, and watch his DAN sticker on his tank til we get to where we're going. I don't have a compass so I have to rely on him to lead us for the most part. Though, sometimes it seems like I have a better guess of where we are going without a compass than he does with his compass. :p

--Shannon

I myself do not practice this but just do it. I find that it is a comfort thing. As I got used to my gear and comfortable with diving, I can now decend anywhere any time.

Mentally I know that the bottom is there and will eventually will see it, hopefully before I run into it (does that bring back some memories? lol). I look at my computer and know that I am descending, control my descent and wait for the bottom to appear.

I also like to estimate the depth of what the bottom will be so I know when to expect it. Granted you have to know the site you are diving to be able to do this or have someone tell you what depth to expect the bottom to be at.

As mentioned, use your buddy as a refence. If need be hold hands as you descend. In time you will become comfortable with descending in low vis that you won't even think twice about it other than being careful.

The more low vis diving you do the less it will bother you. You get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom