Quarry Rangers! Divemasters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of these anologies are killing me! All I can say is "what?!?!" (like that caveman in that commercial talking to that pyschiatrist)

I have tried to get as many dives in as many different environments as possible. My first 25 or so were limited to the same lake. Then I did a springs trip, followed by a week in key largo, wrecks in the St Lawrence, several different quarries, a few more lakes, another trip to the Keys, and also in Monterey. My most recent dives for new experience have been on trimix(NAUI intro to tech and heliotrox) in Lake Erie. As a DM so far I have been comfortable in every place I've been and would feel ok leading in all of those places.

I would love to be able to dive in the ocean every dive but I live in Ohio and we are unfortunately in short supply of Saltwater. There are two main reasons why people in my area don't dive in the ocean more the first is time and the second is money. You can still be a good diver even if only a few dives are in the ocean.

Lock Down:
I would love to be able to dive in the ocean every dive but I live in Ohio and we are unfortunately in short supply of Saltwater. There are two main reasons why people in my area don't dive in the ocean more the first is time and the second is money. You can still be a good diver even if only a few dives are in the ocean.

Agree for sure. My post was simply pointing out that in areas such as where I am, I find it weird that people would dive in the quarry 99-out-of-100 times when the ocean is just as handy and actually free.

I don't neccessarily see a problem with it. What would somebody say about the DM that has only ever dove in the open ocean? They then go diving inland and jump in some quarrys, lakes or springs. I see it as the same.

All types of diving are diverse and bring with them their own challenges and dangers. None of the agencies (that I know of) force you to make dives in all or even most environments. You simply gain your experience in the environment that are in. Heck. I know some DMs that have dove all over the world and gone from OW to DM in barely a year and they out right stink. For the most part you can learn and perfect your basic skills in a swimming pool anywhere in the world. As long as your basic set of skills (safety, buoyancy control, nav, etc) are spot on then you are not going to have overwhelming difficulty adapting to most dive environment. As long as you give yourself time to learn about them and practice in them.

robway034:
I figured this was topic that would get a lot of interesting response! Before writing it, I mulled over a lot of the different arguements/idea's/points of view that many of you have offered also there many, I never considered!
Anyway, when it comes to conditions like Ice Diving, Caves and mixed gas; I think that these are highly specialized types of diving and I don't know that they really fit into the scope of what anyone would expect of a DM anywhere outside of the tech diving world.
So, I will kind of "add" something else: What I was illuding to, at the begining, was the idea that someone could go from OW to DM and only have been diving in thier local quarry for their entire career. Agian, this is not about individual dive skills its about whether or not one would expect a DM to have (as a prerequisite, maybe?) multiple dive experiences....shore, quarry, boat, FW/SW, night, Deep, wreck.... ya know, the kind of dives one might reasonably expect within the "rec-divers" normal arena. I must admit that I reject the idea of a "specialized DM" meaning a quarry DM or an Ocean DM or...etc.etc, A DM, is a DM, is a DM! I mean, despite what appearances may seem... the quarry guy/gal meets the same standards as the one with all ocean dives..etc

Another thing to think about.

If that DM decided to move out here to Hawaii and work as a DM here he could get a job easy enough. I would like to think, however, that the dive shop would ensure that before he was DMing on his own that they was familiar with the conditions in the area and the dive sites that they were diving. I don't think they would just throw him on a boat and say here you go. You have your DM card so you know what to do. He would have the basic skills that he needs, but would have to become familiar with the area. This would be true (just not to the same extent) if a DM from here moved to LA and decided to work as a DM there. He probably wouldn't have the area and local conditions knowledge to just jump on the boat and DM there either.

robway034:
What certification body is this, since that's what really matters not which state or country for that matter? It certianly isnt a PADI requirement.

My certifications are through Padi. Maybe the dive shop is BS'ing me, but I had to have the 5 specialties before I got my Rescue cert. And also I may be confusing Dive master and Master diver.

Aquamike30252:
My certifications are through Padi. Maybe the dive shop is BS'ing me, but I had to have the 5 specialties before I got my Rescue cert. And also I may be confusing Dive master and Master diver.

That is what your doing. You are required to have 5 specialties, AOW, Rescue and a # of dives for Master Scuba Diver.

Aquamike30252:

From the PADI.com website regarding divmaster training:

What do I need to start?

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or qualifying certification from another training organization
PADI Rescue Diver certification or qualifying certification from another training organization.
Medical clearance signed by a physician
20 logged dives
18 years old

You are confusing it with "Master Diver"

Guba:
I understand everything you are saying and do not disagree at all...hence my disclaimer at the end of my previous post. However, we were diving the Flower Gardens, and the program directors knew what we were headed for, more or less. And Cozumel diving didn't really do that much to prepare me for "stresses". The lake dives came much closer in helping me cope with anything remotely resembling something that could cause tension. While lake dives cannot prepare one for all the hazards in tropical seas, it can cause divers to hone valuable skills that will enable him/her to cope with situations that might be found there. The rest has to come with continued education, training, and experience.

I wouldn't think much about it. They give everybody a hard time going out to the FG. Too many times they have had bad experiences with divers who should have been fine. Being 100 miles out to sea with only a coast guard medivac in case of trouble makes one over cautious.

I get the same treatment when I go somewhere new in the world. I find that the more people stress past experience, the more they worry. I just state it once and then calmly sit through the discussion of stresses and hazards. I see their eyes on me full time (being the new guy) until I hit the water, then I'm the one they aren't worried about. It's just standard CYA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom