Rant about medical forms for scuba instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon:
It's easier just to lie about it.
Unfortunately, some of the forms list "over 50 years of age" as a medical condition. Kind of hard for this 58 year old to lie convincingly about that. :dork2:

My whine and cheeze: When did being over 50 become a 'medical condition'?

spectrum:
My experience with several instructors is that the requirement of a doctors sign-off is at their discretion. We have been cleared for hypertension by saying that it's controlled and even asthma by stating that its not cold or exercise induced (allergies) and under control.

Have you fainted? yes I have 1 time diagnosed as Vasovagal syncope, just once? Yes. OK

Both my wife and I put the question to our doctor in advance of starting OW and he never needed to do any paperwork.

Pete

The store will have a policy on this as well, besides the instructor. Unless the instructor is freelancing, he/she will always be govered by the store owner.

Twobit has it right. The shop should only be requiring you to do another medical if its been over a year. Keep a copy of your medical and doctors approval for proof (I keep both in my dive log).

As an instructor I can tell you its absolutely a liability issue. You might not sue me but the next guy's wife would right after he gets put in the ground. If you lie on the form then you are greatly decreasing your ability to win in court if the injury could be tied back to a pre-existing medical issue. I'm in good health. But I still am required to have the physical each year to be an instructor. I want my doctor to grill me and really be sure. Anything I can do to reduce the likelihood of accident or injury is fine by me.

It's easier just to lie about it.
Works well for me. I tell what they need to know - for classes and charters. They rest I overlook...

Consider this: you sign up for an "advanced" class and get buddied up with a diver who has chosen to lie about his medical condition because he doesn't think it's important and well...it would just create a hassle with more paperwork. You progress through the series of dives and find yourself on the second day at 90 fsw with your "buddy" when he suddenly bolts for you and pulls your regulator out of your mouth. In the ensuing mahem, you have difficulty finding your "octo" and bolt for the surface. Because you feel starved for air, and your ascent exceeds 100 feet per minute you end up with an over-expansion injury and declared unfit to dive. Luckily you survive, but your buddy wasn't so lucky. You'd like to explain to his family why this happened, but feeling guilty about your actions, you decide to just "live with it." The autopsy reveals a history of asthma and it turns out that the dry air in the scuba tank caused an asthma attack underwater. Your buddy thought he was out of gas and his "little secret" becomes your problem. Be honest about your fitness to dive and answer truthfully!!

bubbleblowindude:
Consider this: you sign up for an "advanced" class and get buddied up with a diver who has chosen to lie about his medical condition because he doesn't think it's important and well...it would just create a hassle with more paperwork. You progress through the series of dives and find yourself on the second day at 90 fsw with your "buddy" when he suddenly bolts for you and pulls your regulator out of your mouth. In the ensuing mahem, you have difficulty finding your "octo" and bolt for the surface. Because you feel starved for air, and your ascent exceeds 100 feet per minute you end up with an over-expansion injury and declared unfit to dive. Luckily you survive, but your buddy wasn't so lucky. You'd like to explain to his family why this happened, but feeling guilty about your actions, you decide to just "live with it." The autopsy reveals a history of asthma and it turns out that the dry air in the scuba tank caused an asthma attack underwater. Your buddy thought he was out of gas and his "little secret" becomes your problem. Be honest about your fitness to dive and answer truthfully!!

Not sure how telling the truth on the form helps you here. If a doctor is convinced to clear him that doesn't mean you are going to know any more as a student about your new buddy than you did before. You can't pass around the medical forms to make sure everybody is happy with their buddy's medical state. Sure you can argue later the doctor shouldn't have cleared him but the "little secret" still became your problem.

If a student answers the medical questionaire truthfully and has a condition that requires medical evaluation, then the opportunity exists for him (the student) to follow the recommendations of his physician and minimize risk. Sometimes, the student may not even realize the potential problems that may arise when his medical condition is combine with pressure. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Goose75:
Not sure how telling the truth on the form helps you here. If a doctor is convinced to clear him that doesn't mean you are going to know any more as a student about your new buddy than you did before. You can't pass around the medical forms to make sure everybody is happy with their buddy's medical state. Sure you can argue later the doctor shouldn't have cleared him but the "little secret" still became your problem.
That's right....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom