Bonaire, Is it worth the trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at Sand Dollar and would go back. Buddy dive was next door and Captain Don's is the next one down. They all looked to be good places to stay but I only personally experienced Sand Dollar.

If you are going with non-divers they are probably going to be bored. We put in 4 to 5 dives a day. We only went on one boat dive. This is where to go for shore diving. If that is what you are going for, it's worth it.

bubbleblowindude:
I found that the only thing more boring than the nightlife was the diving.

Come to Texas for lake diving. You'll never be bored anywhere yo go after that :wink:

If you want to shore dive 24/7 on your own schedule, see lots of fish, like macro, want little or no current then Bonaire is great. Grab your tanks, get in your rental truck and go to one of the many diverse shore dive sites -- how easy! If you want night life or beaches than it is not for you. You will need to have sturdy booties and open pocket fins for shore diving. Take a look at www.bsdme.info and www.bonairetalk.com for even more info.

bubbleblowindude:
I found that the only thing more boring than the nightlife was the diving.

If you're being serious, I'd love to hear specifically what you found boring about the diving on Bonaire?

We have a trip planned for next summer, so I'm interested in reading all opinions about going there. Thanks

drewuw:
I am kicking around taking a dive trip to Bonaire. What is everyones opinion?
How is the Diving? What time of year is best? and most importantly, how is the night life?
Looking forward to some help.

If "most importantly, how is the night life?" is your concern then suggest:

SKIP Bonaire

Bonaire is for diving and marvelling at marine life in its glory

....not prancing and posing for the opposite sex in a smoky meat market.

:coffee:

I prepared myself to be disappointed. No way could an island be as good as so many people said it was. Just couldn't be. 33 dives in one week and we booked the following year as soon as we got home. Wanna swim with turtles...I mean nose to nose? How about spotted eagle rays....nose to back? Swim with a pod (?) or three of squid watching them do their mating thing? Play "find the frogfish?" Every dive was cool. It was waaaay better than I could have hoped for.

Night life? We slept to get ready for the next day.

If you have time to kill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQhet3lbi0

del_mo:
I prepared myself to be disappointed. No way could an island be as good as so many people said it was. Just couldn't be. 33 dives in one week and we booked the following year as soon as we got home. Wanna swim with turtles...I mean nose to nose? How about spotted eagle rays....nose to back? Swim with a pod (?) or three of squid watching them do their mating thing? Play "find the frogfish?" Every dive was cool. It was waaaay better than I could have hoped for.

Night life? We slept to get ready for the next day.

If you have time to kill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQhet3lbi0

We are with you there! :D We were in bed asleep by 10pm every night so we could be up at 5am to start the next dive day! I've got lots of photos and videos here: http://www.rnrscuba.net/Bonaire_June2007.html
and we recommend Buddy Dive. It is a resort geared exclusively for divers.

robint

Back
Top Bottom