Recent news about Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We're heading to Utila in mid-June and I was wondering if anyone had current information about the diving conditions as well as recommendations about diving there. There is an awful lot of contradictory information out there about, chances of seeing whale sharks, viz, quantity / quality of reef-life, coral condition, best part of the island to dive, etc. What's the current scoop?

Although the reason we chose Utila is the chance to see whale sharks, we will only be disappointed if we don't see any while snorkeling AND the scuba diving is not so hot. The only place I've been diving and can compare it to in the Western hemisphere is Grand Cayman. All my other diving has been in South East Asia.

All comments are appreciated.

Don’t know where you are planning on staying, but I just recently came back from spending a week in Utila at the Laguna Beach Resort.

I was there from 5/10-5/17 and had a great time.
There were about 26 of us that went, so we pretty much took up the whole place. Conditions were on the windy side and the seas a little choppy, but once you jumped in the water, the conditions were great. Water temperature was around 81 degrees and the average visibility during the week was around 70-75 feet.

Unfortunately, because of the choppy seas, the boats were not able to go out and look for whale sharks. However, on our last dive day, we woke up and there was no wind at all, so after our first dive on the north side of the island, the boats went out to try and find the mighty fish and as luck would have it, some of us got to see a 25 foot whale shark. Our friends on the other boat actually got to see two of them. ( those bums)

Our daily schedule looked something like this:
06:40 – Try to wake up
07:00 – Breakfast
08:00 – Be on the boat for 2 morning dives
Lunch was served after all boats were back from their morning dives.
14:30 – Back on the boat for an afternoon dive and you also had the option to do a drop off dive on the way back. (highly recommend it)
17:30 – Dinner – (Night dive on Tuesday and Thursday)
18:00 – 21:00 – Beers
21:01 - Bed

Hope this helps,
Have a great trip.

I went to Utila for the first time last year around August. I loved it! In fact, I am heading back there again this year around the end of August to stay for a month. I am not a diving expert. Actually, this was my first ocean dive. So, of course, it was a cool experience. But like most diving, I got bored after about 3 days of diving. You start to see the same stuff. However, it was all worth it when I spotted a WHALE SHARK:wacko: !! Although, we were unable to get in the water and snorkel next to the friendly giant, I can't describe the feeling and excitement I got just from seeing the enormous fin poking out of the water's surface. It was amazing! We were able to find whale sharks on more than just one occasion. Therefore, I can almost assure you that you will come into contact with a whale shark at least once while on your vacation. Although, sh** happens, and I can't guarantee it! But, have fun if you go!

BigL:tree:

Thanks, that's very helpful. I will also be staying at Laguna Beach Resort and I'll be praying for calm seas until the second we land (..or leave!). While my wife and I both have 100's of dives and we are very used to choppy seas, my son is a new diver and prone to sea-sickness. Even if we miss out on whale shark hunting, I'm still hoping for as little waves as possible for his sake.

FYI, if you want to see why I am so keen to see a whale shark, look at a trip report to Tioman that I wrote for our club's newsletter back in early, 2001 (http://www.sca.org/newsletters/april2001.rtf).

Were there any particularly good or bad dive sites? Divemasters? Other things to do during the interval?

Let me try posting that link to my whale shark trip report again: http://www.sca.org.sg/newsletters/april2001.rtf .

FYI. I'll be at Laguna Beach Resrt on Utila from 18 - 26 June. Please pray for good weather and a whale shark convention and I'll do the same for you one day!

I didn't hear about such an abundance of whale sharks in Utila before. Thailand is not bad for whale sharks and it is close to Singapore but it is past season now. I must have seen at least 7 or so whale sharks in Thailand -- even in Patong Bay.
Exmouth is great but the season just passed and Donsol in the Philippines is also great but early in the year. I have been lucky enough to have seen whale sharks in all these places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom