Ft. Wetherill dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobby-in-mass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:no dive report:
today sunny 75
water calm
vis= 1' if that
divers everywhere....crawling over other divers
I had my mask ripped from my face by one nice diver doing the dog paddle with his eyes closed....anyway...I can say this KEEP THAT PLACE....
as far as tropicals goes.....well
if you can spot a tropical fish in that sludge water with 0-1' vis good luck...

Did you get out to the points Bob? The coves are almost always horrible

Do you think this was caused by people stirring up the silt or a sudden influx of plankton in the water.

There has been times of sudden blooms of plankton that has caused calling dives after 1 minute.

Did you try wearing a shark suit to scare everyone out of the water except the spear fishermen?

Bashan Lake is looking attractive for tomorrow.

I also tried to dive FT. Wetherill, RI Saturday because I was told tropical fish could be seen here. The vis was so bad if I could see 2 ft I would have been happy. It wasn't plankton wither just brown sewage looking swill floating by. The only tropicals found here are the corn spotted toilet grouper found in the parking lot porta potties. Also after almost getting run over by the divers climbing on top of each other it didn't help that some Chinese people kept flying in and out of the cove with there zodiac. Bad dive I usually say at least I got wet but not in this place. First time diving FT Wetherill and believe me the last.

It actually can be some great diving over there. The one time I had @20' vis I thought I was in heaven...

johnnyseko:
It actually can be some great diving over there. The one time I had @20' vis I thought I was in heaven...

Shhh.....think about it.... fewer people diving there will mean less people stirring it up, better vis, more parking.

So... umm... yeah!!! Ft. Wetherill is always like that! vis is never better than 1 ft! I am never diving there again!!! It sucks! Always! The vis is so bad I couldn't see on land for three days after the dive because I actually went into visibility debt!

Wetherill??? Oh, we were talkin Wetherill:confused:

My mistake, I thought we were talking about Back Beach...

Sorry to cause any confusion....Wetherill is so bad you could walk on the water...yeah that's it.:)

I have been all over MA and no matter how many divers around the vis never got that bad. I understand that people from RI must like the place but I would rather drive a few hours and make some great dives then dive in a place like FT. Wetherill Sorry but I think the dive was that bad and the vis problem had nothing to do with divers stirring the bottom up becuase we went way out past the points and the vis never even got 1 inch better.

Yea Ft Wetheill can be bad at times. Thats why I definitly keep vigil on the wavecams, and marine weather, tides etc before even considering a 2-1/2 hour drive to dive there.

Theres been times weve been skunked and ended up at the restaurant to reflect on dive stories or had to go site seeing.

wdearn:
I have been all over MA and no matter how many divers around the vis never got that bad. I understand that people from RI must like the place but I would rather drive a few hours and make some great dives then dive in a place like FT. Wetherill Sorry but I think the dive was that bad and the vis problem had nothing to do with divers stirring the bottom up becuase we went way out past the points and the vis never even got 1 inch better.
Sir I would respectfully beg to differ. I have been on several dives in Ma. that were as
bad with respect to visibility.

Sean222:
Sir I would respectfully beg to differ. I have been on several dives in Ma. that were as
bad with respect to visibility.

We Rhode Islanders take pride in our braille diving, it can't be that bad in Massachusetts.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom