Toledo Bend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bayou68

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone been diving Toledo Bend lately? I'm looking for a couple of goog place to spear large catfish. Any information/advice on the Toledo Bend area would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bayou68 i just got back from there last night. I launched at cypress bend and about a mile north is where the sabine river is under the lake, we hunted the edge of the old river banks. they are always productive on big catfish. i have been going just about every weekend for the last two months and we are getting ready for another. if you are interested just pm me!

What kind of viz do you get. I am looking to get a few big cats also.

Just be sure you surface on the Louisiana side of the lake, fresh water spearing is illegal in Texas. Check with Dick Wilgus at Dive Toleodo. His shop is right on the lake and he knows the lake better than I know my back yard. Vis depends on the weather, it is usually better below the thermocline. If the dam isn't generating electricity try the river just down stream of the dam. Vis is usually pretty good there and it is a sandy rocky bottom. Last time I was there it was about 5' above the thermocline, about 10' below the thermocline and 15 'to 20' downstrean of the dam.

Hi all,
Just got back from the 'Land of the not-quite-right" - S. Korea, so please excuse my lack of replies. I appreciate all of the replies and, captain, I'll take your advice and follow up with that dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom