Accurate compass??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was doing the underwater mapping project for divemaster, I used a $10 Silva compass that I also use for orienteering. It had better resolution than the larger diving compass I normally use. Between the $10 compass and a 100-foot tape measure, the mapping project went pretty quickly.

Thalassamania:
Get a Mk 107 Mod 0 Hydrographic Mapping Unit (HMU), what SEALS now use as their standalone navigation aid instead of the familiar tactical board. It has a fluxgate digital compass to navigate underwater accurately as well as sonar for finding obstructions and can record images of underwater objects. It was developed by the Applied Research Laboratories of the University of Texas at Austin and is built by Teledyne RD Instruments in San Diego who continues development of a commercial Map-Tac navigator for other users.

Of course you can, if you are the US Military :)

One minor note, the HMU hasn't replaced the tac board for simple navigation.

Here's an interesting article, and fairly accurate. However, calling the HMU "laptop sized" is a bit of a stretch...

Nice, can I get it with a HUD?

Suunto SK7 with retractor works great. I cinch my cheapie wrist watch on the retractor as well and it is very handy. The one thing is the retractor comes with a ring that does not clip on - sort of like the keychains. Keeps it there, but does not allow me to readily reclip elsewhere, etc... Not a bad thing... just a thing...

I may still buy the DSS retro-fit peice though in case I opt for the wrist at some point... looks much lower profile..

Thanks all for the replies.

I hear ya'll about the SK7, that's what I'm using now. I also have an Oceanic and 2 electronic compasses, watch style. They are fine, but the electronic ones always shut off after a minute or so.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but like I said, I'm used to more like the land nav style and can use them well. Hell, if I wanted something really accurate, I'd just use mils anyway :D

Oh well. I guess I'll get one of the super-computer-underwater-gps-wizzagigit-nuclear-powered-gyro-stabilized-compasses. And the Submarine to haul it.

Well, just as soon as they come down a few million dollars in price. :D

Darin

In the Age off 9 (i had won 2 windsurfawards in between) my father buyed me a

chainholdet waterfieled pocketcompass,he folown me much way in my live as underwater for

many dives he is know over 20 years old and in good condition.

Trivia:The eywear as otical tool shop where that is from.is today ownd by the cusin of my

ex.

7*

I guess this must be one of the differences between ocean and lake diving. I can't possibly swim as accurately as my compass registers heading, because the water I'm swimming in is almost always moving. I have to use a lot of natural navigation in addition to my compass to end up where I want to go. The accuracy/precision/resolution of the SK-7 is plenty for me. (I just wish it were reasier to read with old eyes . . .)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom