Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just heard about Dean's path. Hang in there, Christi. And thanks for keeping us updated. Regardless, you guys be safe down there. We'll be praying for ya.

Christi:
Excuse me if I'm a little sensitive to your remarks, but a Cat 4 hurricane is NOT exciting (yes, in a bad way)! If you decide to go ahead and make your trip just for the "adventure" then you should stay home.

If it does hit...(still really too early to be sure...Saturday will give us a more accurate picture)...you will not be diving for at least a week afterwards and trust me, you won't find it so "exciting" when you see what we go through in the aftermath.

Hurricanes are not fun and games...they are serious business and affect lives, not just vacations.

hey, i understand. i didn't mean exciting as in fun. and i had no idea as to the severity that this thing looks to be.

crossing my fingers, my best friend lives in Cozumel as well.

>JM<

Christi, I'm praying that Dean misses anywhere with population, ESPECIALLY Cozumel.

God bless you.

Stay safe.

Christi,

Hope it misses you as well. Hopefully it will turn north and hit where nobody will get hurt. Good luck and let everyone know how you make out.

Chuck

rjsimp:
With all due respect to Christi, and I hope it really does miss cozumel and anywhere else with people for that matter, we are currently here in Cozumel with our plans to leave on Monday. Well, at this point, all indications are that Monday will not be a fun day here at all and most likely will not have flights. We are staying at Villa Aldora and they will be making preparations on Saturday and Sunday for the storm unless something changes in the next 24 hours. They will be closing down the Villa Aldora on Sunday and we would be without a place to stay in any case.

If you READ the discussion that comes from NOAA and other weather forecasting agencies, there is little to stop this storm from intensifying and making a straight line across towards the Yucatan.. Who knows really about where the direct hit would occur at this point, but I do know I don't want to be here in the local's way when they have to deal with this and personally why should I risk my family's safety.

So, to that end, we have had to buy 1 way tickets to leave on Saturday on Continental since American hasn't included Cozumel in the risk zone yet so they won't change anything and they said they won't add additional flights even if the storm hits and currently there is very limited seating on any flights to change to over the weekend, this could get interesting.

I really hope it misses and I feel for everyone in the path of any storm, this is one of my favorite places to visit and would love to stay for months, but I am confident we are doing the right thing in getting out early and leaving the local's to their duties prior to the storm. We'll pray for the best.

Well, if you don't get out and end up stuck here...I've been known to take in the "homeless" during hurricanes :wink: Let me know if this happens! My house is very strong and not on the waterfront :)

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I am trying to stay positive...and I keep telling myself...we got through Wilma, anything else will be "a cakewalk." :)

It looks inevitable that we'll have something from Dean...but as long as we don't get another direct hit, we'll be just fine and we'll only be down for a few days at most!

We're watching and have already started the easy preliminary preparations...and then we'll kick into high gear this weekend if it looks necessary.

Christi:
Well, if you don't get out and end up stuck here...I've been known to take in the "homeless" during hurricanes Let me know if this happens! My house is very strong and not on the waterfront

Hey Christi, I need to find cheaper accommodations. Does that offer stand when there isn't a hurricane bearing down on Coz!?!?! :D Technically speaking, if I show up with no place to stay as a result of either lack of planning or lack of funds, I'd be considered "homeless", right? :wink:

It goes without saying, I'm hoping for the best.

Christi:
Well, if you don't get out and end up stuck here...I've been known to take in the "homeless" during hurricanes :wink: Let me know if this happens! My house is very strong and not on the waterfront :)

We really appreciate the offer. Hopefully all goes well and we will be home Saturday around 10:00 PM.. We have tickets on the continental flight out at 3:00pm Saturday (no thanks to American, won't be flying them again) so as long as that doesn't get cancelled or something we will be good.

Trust me though, I know you'll be busy and really appreciate the offer if the worse happens.

The latest forecast anticpate a cat 4 hitting somewhere(ch 7 news). Good luck and wish all well

driftin' by:
rjsimp: Sorry to hear Dean has put a damper on your vacation. Hurricanes suck! You've gotta go with your gut. Good luck and safe travels.

Thanks, its not a huge damper.. But I feel more for the people that are here and live here.. We have a home to go to that is safe from this, this is their home and they need us to be here when it is over, but not when they are trying to prepare for it..

I hope as all of you do, that this totally misses everything that is populated, but I know that it will hit somewhere and it won't be good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom