Question on Attaching Sea&Sea Velcro to Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainkwe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy!
Wondering if anyone has any experience/recommendations on how to attach velcro to underwater housings. Specifically, I've just purchased a Sea&Sea YS27DX and have a Canon housing. One side of the velcro comes with adhesive already attached and ready to mount to the housing. But I've been told to expect that to wear out quickly (<15 dives). Wondering what my fellow bubble blowers have found. Do the Sea&Sea velcro kits (as seen here: http://shop.scuba.co.uk/showfullsize.aspx?src=fiber_25.jpg&img=Fibre+Optic+Slave+Cable ) stay attached? Or, should I pre-empt this and save myself some trouble and go a permanent route like some sort of super glue to attach the side of the velcro that mounts to the housing (if that makes sense).

5 days til Roatan and counting.....

Many Thanks in advance!!! :D

I've had mine for 2 years and it's not worn out at all...:ne_nau:

The velcro's adhesive used for the S&S fiber optic cable mount is safe for your housing. If you use a more aggressive solvent based adhesive, it might damage your housing.

You could make an "L" shaped bracket with aluminum, plastic or stainless steel, that can be attached to the bottom of your Canon housing via the tripod socket. Drill a hole in the bracket opposite the strobe. Line up the cable mask over the hole. The metal would provide a stable mounting surface. It would also leave your housing clean.

Attached is a photo of how I handled a Sony MPK housing. Originally I made an "L" bracket, but never took a picture of it. The attached picture shows the housing with a wide angle lens adapter that worked on the same principle.

Attachments

• DSC00073ppp.jpg
    DSC00073ppp.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 101
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom