A great experience for a New diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhitedvRN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yesterday I did my first open water dives in the Hudson Grotto in Pasco County Florida. I have to say I was a bit nervous, not because it was to be my first dive, but because of the negatives I had read about the grotto on various boards, including this one, about the Grotto.
It was an awesome experience for a first dive! If anyone knows it, you know there is low vis. That is an understatement, IT WAS DARK! But not at 20 feet where the first platform is. Just right to get used to the limitations of visability. It took my breath away to swim off the platform over all that dark space. They have various items situated in places that makes it fun to find them. I patted the Budda's belly for luck, stroked the angels wings and circled the entire grotto guided by my AWESOME instructor, whom I trust beyond measure. Trust is the most important factor for a new diver and she made me feel SO comfortable.
Today we dive Wikki Wachee, which will be an EYE opening experience compared to the Grotto. But I have to say I am glad I dove there first. My confidence level is much higher today.
If you haven't try it, it was a great experience. Maybe a bit mundane for the experienced diver, but worth a dive at least once.
Thanks for all the encouragement.
On to dive 4 & 5!

My husband and I also trained at Hudson Grotto and yes, it was dark down there! Thank God for my instructor's yellow fins! I hope you had a blast at Weeki Wachee today.
Your fellow RN,
Angie

Congratulations on your certification! MY first two cert dives for OW were in very low vis. I think it's a good thing. It gets you used to low vis and helps you to appreciate gin clear water!

Congrats! Got my AOW at Hudson Grotto. It's like a scary movie down there isn't it? Went to about 104 feet to do my wreck dive. Lots of interesting things down there. Have you gone to Blue Grotto yet? Weeki is okay, but the mermaids scared me..ha! Good luck..you're doing great!

Congrats!! You are slowly and gradually getting more involved in the field of diving.I am in this field since 10 years.I was also nervous at the time of first diving trip in deep blue water.

I like to dive in deep water and touch fishes.Its great fun to dive.I enjoyed all the videos related to diving at http://www.splashvision.com They have got some amazing videos.

The reservoir that we dove for my OW class has visibility of 5-6 feet. I hear stories of gin clear water and am jealous. I think that diving in some tougher conditions made me work a little harder and that it was a good thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom