Panic!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the opinion that she needs to take baby steps with the right instructor.

give the person time. they are stepping into something unknown to them. i recently intro dived some people, some were hesitant & another was really feeling nervous. if that's the awy how they feel, don't force it on them to go through it or else they might regret in being talked into it & might blame you for it. i've also seen some people repeat the entire class after a few months. yes, it's frutrating in teaching these people, but once they 've overcome their fear, it's a rewarding feeling.

My wife is not the most comfortable in the water yet she managed to pass certification because she had a great instructor. He was very calm and patient with her. The hardest items for her were swimming without a mask on, and doing a CESA.

I should note that my wife's comfort in the water has improved, however I would not ask her to do any dive's that go even slightly outside of her comfort zone. Usually when we dive together it's over a reef in the carribean with a DM leading a group and she does not stray more than 1 foot from my side. While I'm comfortable with her diving, I'm not comfortable she would handle a panic situation well underwater and a few seconds can make a big difference. Consider carefully how well your sister would handle an emergency if she's panicking at this stage. I hope she's able to get through this and participate in diving!

-Matt

Had a friend that quit during OW testing, but later tried again and dives quite frequently. Also had one who was not too motivated and tried 2 or 3 times, then quit.

Anyway, an idea from disney program, fill bcd and simply snorkel with regulator for a while. If it's just the idea of breathing from regulator, it is easy to stick your head up and get a breath. If someone is motivated, then just keep trying it becomes more natural every time you breath from regulator.

Thanks for the sage advice y'all. I actually feel more and more comfortable with the reg as time passes. The mask clearing was another trial that took more time and remediation so I'm still working on perfecting my technique and aiming for perfecting the hands-on and hands-free mask clearing. I am considering doing skills homework (just so you don't think I'm a wuss who gives up easily) in the shallow end of my local pool between classes.

Your humble shallow-end newbie,

Oxygene

oxygene:
Thanks for the sage advice y'all. I actually feel more and more comfortable with the reg as time passes. The mask clearing was another trial that took more time and remediation so I'm still working on perfecting my technique and aiming for perfecting the hands-on and hands-free mask clearing. I am considering doing skills homework (just so you don't think I'm a wuss who gives up easily) in the shallow end of my local pool between classes.

Your humble shallow-end newbie,

Oxygene

Too bad you're not closer--we could go to the pool together. I have to practice a lot too. I practiced all day Saturday 'till my nose ached. I had nightmares about it that night that my nose was simply too big and I would never be able to keep the water out of it. :rofl3: I feel good about it now...you will too. Don't give up!

I think your sister needs to give it another whirl with another more patient instructor. I just received my advanced certification last month and I too paniced...at 10 FEET (totally flipped out!) when I first started. After breathing in the regulator above water a few minutes and inching my way down vslowly, I was fine. My instructor was patient and had a calming affect on me. 100 Ft is a breeze now. Spectrum has the right idea 1:1 sounds like it would benefit her greatly.. It's so worth it... .tell her good luck!!

DeltaWardog:
My wife and I just completed our PADI open water course this past weekend. She was actually ready to quit on day 1. Her mask kept flooding (we found out it had a rip in it) and she complained that she just could not breathe through her regulator.

After a lot of coaching in the shallow end, a mask replacement, and some confidence building excercises, she passed the class and was swimming around like a fish in the deep end by the end of the class. She is now as excited about doing our cert dive as I am.

Confidence is everything - if she isn't ready to try again then don't push it, but there are also exercises that can be done to boost her confidence and get her into the deep end of the pool breathing compressed air for an hour, as long as she doesn't have a true phobia.

Good luck!
I'm just wondering on the OP if anybody checked her regulator. Perhaps it was hard to draw air, old and needed service? I've used regulators like that (when I was still renting) and believe me, they can cause anybody to panic. Air hunger is the road to panic, there is nothing like it!!
I'd say, if she's willing to try again, get used to breathing with the reg on dry land (a good reg!!), then the shallow end, putting face in and standing up as needed. I think there's hope for her yet.

Lehmann108:
I'm bummed because my sister and her son are taking the PADI OW certification and she had to quit because of panic. She's great at snorkelling, but she said she just felt all "wrong" when she started to breath on a regulator with her head under water. She actually lost all rational thought process and started to breath water with the regulator out of her mouth. Her son (14) did fine. Anyone have any tips to help her overcome her panic?
I think she needs more practice of spending time in water.She is not comfortable under deep water.But after more and more practice she will overcome her panic !!

I have seen many videos regarding diving at http://www.splashvision.com which will help you in some way.

Best of Luck !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom