Need help on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeM_scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to Bonaire in the end of October. Staying at Plaza. Can someone tell me what electrical outlets are over there? Will my rechargers and laptop work? Is there wireless broadband?
Also, any tips and tricks about this hotel and Bonaire in general.
Thank you in advance.

Can someone tell me what electrical outlets are over there? Will my rechargers and laptop work?
http://www.infobonaire.com/technology.html
Most laptop chargers are 110-240V and 50-60HZ compatible. What other rechargers? Toucan had a transformered charging station for strobe chargers in the alcove off the main part of the store.

Is there wireless broadband?
http://www.plazaresortbonaire.com/internet.doc

It's a long walk across the property from the diveshop to the 18Palms divesite. I've heard they stage tanks there now.

One afternoon we got off the boat at Toucan and noticed there was a dive posted for the afternoon with only two people on it and a note to ask at the office. For $18pp. we made it four so us and a dutch couple had the boat to ourselves with 2 crew. We went to Forest and dove till we ran out of air.

Bring good treaded boots or the ironshore will shred your feet.

Good places to eat:

Zee Zicht
Casablanca
Bobbie Jans takeout BBQ (smelled excellent!!)
It Rains Fishes (pricey)
Donna/Giorgio's for pizza.

No one brings a check at dinner till you ask for it, they consider it rude.

Pay your departure tax at the airport b4 you stand in line to check in, you can't go through to the gate without it. It's currently $32 U.S.

Lots of Bonaire tips here:
www.bonairetalk.com

The island is great you will love it!!! The diving is fantastic!!
We are headed there the end of September can't wait!!
The island is a desert island, the have salt fields, donkeys that roam(Don't him them!!), and flamingos at both ends of the island.

It Rains Fishes- is fantastic! its our first place we are hitting when we get there.

http://www.infobonaire.com/ lets you know what is going on during the time u are there. They also list the places to eat, what I did before I left was go to their websites to see what they had on special for each day.

Steve is correct about waiting FOREVER for your check, we finally picked up on the fact we had to ask for it or we could sit there all night. Soon as they bring your food they usually don't come back. :)

from what I've read about the electricity overthere (we're going there early November) the charging device might overheat a bit but overall, you should not have any problems. just don't leave your electronics charged for too long. Also, check the parameters of the computer charger, many of them have a good range of voltage and frequency.

Here are my tips: RELAX! Remember you are on vacation & on ISLAND TIME, so NOT like Philly time. No rush. You won't get to do every dive you want or eat in every restaurant you want. You will start planning your next trip about the middle of this trip. Rent a scooter for a day (around $30 US) & tour the island. Wave to everyone. Smile. Stop & really look at all the topside wild life around you - parrots, flamingos, wild donkeys, boar, goats, lizards, hummingbirds... Drive up to Sera Lagu (monument up on a mountain) & look out over the island. Check out the Indian inscriptions. Drive around the island after dark. I like the area around the salt flats with the windows wide open & the smell of salt & water washing over me. Stop to watch the lights from divers on a night dive. Watch the sunset, look for the green flash. Start a dive as the sun is just coming up & going down. Do an entire dive in 1 spot. Just hang & see what happens.

Relish the fact that your check is not foisted upon you as the last fork full hits your mouth. Savor your food & beverage. Nothing tastes as good as fresh food after diving all day. Two of my fav's I'll add - Cactus Blue & Mona Lisa.

You should not have any problems w/ electronics. There are several internet cafes available. I bring any business/important documents on a jump drive & usually bring enough media cards that I don't worry about having to transfer pictures during the trip. (My tip - bring a digital camera media card for the for every day of the trip. Yep - I bring 7 cards for 7 days. Far easier to trade out cards than lose multiple days or an entire trip when the camera floods.)

And last - I'm envious, I probably won't get back until April...unless I can convince the other half we need to get away between Christmas & New Years...

Just got back from the Plaza Resort last weekend. Had a great time with doing 27 dives in 6 days. Tanks are staged at the pool just off the beach and also at the Tipsy Seagull Pier on the south-end of the resort, so no need to haul tanks from the diveshop for a quick dive at 18 palms. I recommend you enter at the Tipsey Seagull pier. Steps here into the water, last 2 are slippery. Swim stright out under the lone section of pier, over the break in the coral wall and your on the top of the reef in 2-3 minutes. I think the scenery to the north is better. The plaza resort uses standard 110 volt US style outlets. I charged my video camera in the room with no problem. If your in the junior suites, your close to the pool, but last week they were in the proces of doing a major re-model on the poolside/oceanside rooms and a lot of construction noise during the day. Didn't bother me, too busy diving. I think they have wireless internet in some locations on the property, but since I left my laptop at home can't advise where. Spend a day diving north of town, another diving south of town and a third at sites in town. Then pick where you liked best and spend a couple of extra days on those areas. Some of the most prolific fish life is on the sites in town. Try in front of Yellow Submarine Dive Shop for lots of eels and a great night dive. The sites north, usually the reef starts at the entrance, while the sites to the south sometimes have long swims.

Try the Ribs place above the KFC on the waterfront downtown. Half rack of ribs, fries and coleslaw for $10. Full rack for $14.

I'm ready to go back!!

Everybody, thank you very much for help.
Happy diving to everybody..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom