I want to butt out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went Cold Turkey. I'd never met anyone who had long term success substituting drug delivery method, or substituting one drug for another.

I handled the cravings by physical exercise. Running, crunches, sitting chair presses, whatever. I kicked tobacco and got in better shape; all at the same time.

Good Luck! You CAN do it. You will NEVER regret doing it.

I bought laser acupuncture for my brother in law and he stopped that day...and he didn't really even want to. They a 2 hour laser thingy on his ears and that was it. He needed to quit to get in better shaping breathing wise for his martial arts competitions. Now he says the thought of a cigarette makes him ill.....

-Dan

Purge:
Thanks for all the feed back :D Keep it coming! I need all the encouragement and support I can get.

I don't know about anyone else, but after I quit....maybe for a few years, I'd have dreams that I smoked. The wake up and think...."did I really smoke last night?....oh, it's only a dream...whew....." Same when I quit drinking. I still dream I had a beer. Been almost 3 years now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the cravings?

Have a cigarette.
03.gif

:dork2:

:no :no :no :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

45yrold_newbie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the cravings?

Have a cigarette.
03.gif

:dork2:

:no :no :no :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
+

:lotsalove: :shakehead: :warning:

This would be funnier in a few years...

Cravings will happen, find something that works for you. For me it was Big Red Gum and sometimes carrots... Keep the faith. If you do fall down and and have one, don't beat yourself up to much, and keep trying to quit the habit...

I just recently got out of theArmy where i was smoking 1-2 packs a day.. My wife wanted me to quit smoking and lose the gut and i found that working out daily really helped with my day to day cravings.. i just quit cold turkey and hit the gym hard.. been 3 months now no smokes and i look and feel 300% better.

Blackhawkdiver:
I just recently got out of theArmy where i was smoking 1-2 packs a day.. My wife wanted me to quit smoking and lose the gut and i found that working out daily really helped with my day to day cravings.. i just quit cold turkey and hit the gym hard.. been 3 months now no smokes and i look and feel 300% better.

LOOK and feel 300% better??? Dang, I didn't notice any improvement in my looks when I quit!!!! :D

Blackhawkdiver:

You WILL succeed because you want to and are making the choice.

A comment on method: I didn't know it at the time but I, and you now, selected the one proven long term method for success. It sort of goes along with the 12 Step thing I'm told. On the other hand in the many years since I quit I, personally, know no one who has stopped for more than a year or two using the drug substitution method.

One other thing: I kept telling myself: "Who is in charge; me or the drugs?"

Other than picking my spouse I can't think of a more momentous decision in my life than the one to be tobacco free.

Back
Top Bottom