Hydro Space / Abysmal Explorer computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been reviewing the thread on the HS Explorer and the VR3 from a couple of years ago. Does anyone have any new thoughts about the HS Explorer? Has anyone used the RGBM on several dives, and what do you think about it? I think I am convinced that deep stops are the way to go, but would like to hear from folks with a lot more experience who use this computer.

My only complaint about the computer is the el-cheapo PC interface (I have to hold it in place with one hand for it to work). I was disappointed, too, to find that the simulation software does not allow RGBM to be used, but I can mostly understand most of the argument. (But, you would think that anything that cost this much would be fully capable, wouldn't you?)

Thanks!

Raywerner once bubbled...
I have been reviewing the thread on the HS Explorer and the VR3 from a couple of years ago. Does anyone have any new thoughts about the HS Explorer? Has anyone used the RGBM on several dives, and what do you think about it? I think I am convinced that deep stops are the way to go, but would like to hear from folks with a lot more experience who use this computer.

My only complaint about the computer is the el-cheapo PC interface (I have to hold it in place with one hand for it to work). I was disappointed, too, to find that the simulation software does not allow RGBM to be used, but I can mostly understand most of the argument. (But, you would think that anything that cost this much would be fully capable, wouldn't you?)

Thanks!

You should not have to hold the interface.. are you sliding the board into the slot properly?? once in place it does not move..

When Gene first released RGBM he did have RGBM simulation in the simulator, he was asked to remove it by BW.

I have been using the explorer since it was first available. When I am doing multi level dives I use Buhlman mode since there is no software that can do multilevel RGBM yet, but when doing square profile dives II use RGBM.. I enjoy being back on the boat while others with the same bottom time haven't even gotten to their last stop yet..

padiscubapro,

Are you using the explorer with OC or CC? is that an option.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
padiscubapro,

Are you using the explorer with OC or CC? is that an option.

I have used the original non integrated cell with both oc and constant po2, I now am using the cell integrated unit and have dove it both with and without a cell attached.

My original explorer was serial # 3 from abysmal, my current units are the first 2 integrated units produced, I deal with hydrospace/oxycheq now.. I have it with a 104 connector instead of the 103..

If you have ANY questions feel free to ask.. I wount hold back anything... I have seen both the good and the bad....

You should not have to hold the interface.. are you sliding the board into the slot properly?? once in place it does not move..

My little card is a bit too short, and unless I almost tie it in there with the wrist bands, it will pop out. Anyway, I had the opportunity to do two deco dives with it over the weekend and I found the computer to be very impressive.

The dives were no big deal, just 133 and 134, but with sufficient bottom time to see how the 'puter did the gas switch to 80%. (I manually made the change once, and watched it flash the second time. And, like you, I loved waiting on the dock, all warm and cozy, for the others to finish their obligations.

I'm thinking about getting an Explorer for use on both AIR, Nitrox and Deco dives and then in the future (next year) trimix diving. It will be my second computer, and the main reason I wish to get it is to give me the second opinion and for calculating deco when I do multi level diving.

I will problaly use it for the first 20-30 dives on air only to get used to having it on my arm and reading the data.

It should work fine doing AIR dives right?

blackice once bubbled...
I'm thinking about getting an Explorer for use on both AIR, Nitrox and Deco dives and then in the future (next year) trimix diving. It will be my second computer, and the main reason I wish to get it is to give me the second opinion and for calculating deco when I do multi level diving.

I will problaly use it for the first 20-30 dives on air only to get used to having it on my arm and reading the data.

It should work fine doing AIR dives right?

yes AIR dives are fine...
just remember IF you are doing any gas switches or other gases you do have to program them otherwise you'll probably violate the ceilings.

If you decide to run RGBM make sure you do the deep stops... unlike buhlman models you CAN'T skip them and correct later on....

The explorer hasn't had any problems as of late...RGBM seems to be perfect now.. during zero g (last week of august) Tom M (iantd), leon S. (meg) morgan (meg) and myself were using the explorer (dives to over 300fsw).. everything went well.. the only problem was my unit on the next to last dive.. my computer ended up under my RB chasis and was getting bounced on for over an hour (rough boat ride), it jarred the display loose (internally).. I cant blame the computer for that.. I did get it functioning again but sent it in as a precaution...its happend to a few computers during shipping (I have heard stories how bad the packages looked) but mine was the first to happen after being dove..
Gene will be switching to a military connector in the future as a preventative measure. Its nice in know he never stops trying to improve the unit...

He just made some RGBM alterations (mid August) that increase the last stops slightly as dive depth increases, to lower doppler scores..

Zero G was my first serious use of multilevel RGBM dives (previously I was only using RGBM for square profiles), the results were great..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom