Votes: 15 26.3%

Votes: 3 5.3%

Votes: 13 22.8%

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • 6 or more

Votes: 14 24.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u4ia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seems to me that lately I have happened to talk to many people who have only had 2 pool sessions in their basic training. They were maybe longer than mine (day-long even) but I was thinking to myself that I much preferred the way mine was organized. My course was half a dozen sessions spread over six weeks. This way I got repetition on setting up my gear every time, having to do some skills multiple times after having a break and absorbing some stuff slower.

How was it for most people? Did you like it the way yours was or would you have preferred it to be arranged some other way?

Is there an option for "about 20" ?

It just depends on the students and instructor.

We signed up in a group, and everyone had different competency levels from the get go. The shop paid for four evening sessions in a local diving pool, each session being about two hours long. Some of the group were done with the required skill at the beginning of the 2nd session, and others needed the full eight hours.

I regularly do pool sessions including two hours last Saturday at 14 ft. doing constant valve drills, shooting bags, and long hose deployments.

Jim

5 pool dives is the norm for PADI classes around where I live. This is just for the basics without any class extensions for problem divers

We had two sessions, and they were 4 hours each if memory serves.

We also had the option of using the pool with an instructor on hand on a weekly basis until we completed OW. I did take advantage of a couple extra sessions.

This was adequate, and I can see why LDS's operate in this mode.

I'm guessing the OP was taking classes at a university rather than through an LDS. Most LDS's would go bankrupt, or the instructors would have to take a pay cut to support a curriculum that spanned 6 weeks or more.

Keep in mind that the goal of OW certification is to provide a minimum level of competency so that a diver can learn to dive. This can be done by hooking up with more experience divers after certification, or by additional training, or both.

Regardless of what folks think as to if PADI and other agencies do enough in the OW curriculum, they do cover the basics. I think that it's the instructor that makes the class, not the agency.

I think time has to be a factor here as well. Is 6 one hour sessions better than 2 sessions of four hours? Keep in mind that one can setup and tear down gear as often as one pleases in a long session, so I'm not sure one can argue that six one hour sessions has a lot more merit vs. two longer sessions.

From a personal time and travel standpoint, I would rather do more time over fewer sessions.

Also, the instructor to pupil ratio can effect the effectiveness of pool time.

RonFrank:
Regardless of what folks think as to if PADI and other agencies do enough in the OW curriculum, they do cover the basics. I think that it's the instructor that makes the class, not the agency.

:thumbsup:

I think that really nails it. I have seen some classes seem harried and a bit chaotic and then the same structure is used and it seems a little fast, but at a nice pace with all basics covered.

PADI has 5 confined water sessions, but it is done in 3 pool sessions in my area. Not sure on other agencies though. I agree with RonFrank also on the purpose of a dive course. It is not dis-similar from a skydiving course or a snowboarding class - get them in it, get them semi-comfortable and encourage them to seek more training.

Back
Top Bottom