What went wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK, I did my 2nd and 3rd dives yesterday at Dutch Springs for my OW cert.
Everything went well except for (of course) the mask flood/clear.
When I tried it, I swallowed water, gagged, cleared most of the water out of the mask... Then I was like hyperventilating, although I was desperate to get to the surface, I made a more-or-less controlled ascent.

My question is, when I was practicing this in the pool, I was able to perform the flood/clears with no problem. In fact, I was doing them during "free swim" periods just for additional practice. Additionally, I had no problem with breathing without a mask in the pool.

Of course it has been almost 2 months since I was in the pool (scheduling issues.)

Could I have regressed so much in such a short period of time?

I was really looking forward to doing the flood/clear on my checkout dives because I was doing so well in the pool.

-Just_a_regulator_guy-

It sounds to me like a case of anxiety. One thing you may want to try is to get a process down when you do your skills. For instance, instead of just flooding and clearing, make sure you take a deep breath for 2 seconds, then exhale for 2 seconds. As you are exhaling remove the mask, take 2 breaths through the reg, replace the mask, clear the mask, etc. I think if you have the process to concentrate on there is less room for anxiety to move in. Water temp could also be a factor. Getting smacked in the face with cold water can give you that "OMG" inhale reflex. I would just flood your mask slowly when you do the drill. One more tip- if you make a kissing gesture around the reg it is harder to breathe through your nose. So push your lips out and concentrate on breathing though your mouth when your mask is off. If you have access to a pool I would try to practice some more before going back to the quarry.

Good luck w/ the rest of your dives!

I think that the almost 2 months was plenty for your new skills to atrophy. They are new skills after all.

I am not familiar with Dutch Springs, what was the water temp? If the water was colder than the pool that could have been a factor as well.

so you were diving in a hot tub?
(said the guy from New England)
:rofl3:

Well, for ME that would be pretty warm and I would think that it was atrophied skills.

One thing that may have happened is this: If you were sitting or kneeling on the bottom when you performed the skill, AND you tilted your head back as you were taught, it is quite possible that this allowed water to run down the bottom of your nasopharynx and into your throat. If your body is upright when you do a mask clear, the bottom of the mask is actually its lowest point, and there is no need to tilt your head back. It's only when you are actually diving and your body is horizontal that there may be a need to tilt the head to get the bottom of the mask at the lowest point.

I figured this out when I was doing OW, because I repeatedly choked myself doing mask skills -- Including having a near bolt to the surface during OW dive 2 because of it. Since, I have seen a couple of other people run into the same problem.

Good point TSandM! My wife snorkels and was doing her OW. When she asked me to show her how to clear her mask I always tilted my head back. Assuming she would be in the horizontal. I forgot about kneeling in the pool during training. After her mask training in the pool she said you don't need to do that or it causes problems. I then realized your point. Since mask removal is often a stumbling block instructors should keep this in mind. This is subtle but important.

I think this is the main problem....
Of course it has been almost 2 months since I was in the pool (scheduling issues.)

Could I have regressed so much in such a short period of time?
Yep, espcially for a :newbie:

Strange timing for this thread.

This past weekend my wife and I were diving and being noobs, we always do drills on every dive. I decided to do the mask removal and replacement. I am a fairly non-anxious diver, ive never felt panic or any kind of strong anxiety through any of my training or subsequent dives.

Imagine my surprise, when, in 70 degree water, at 25 fsw I found myself unable to take a full relaxed breath. It was so strange because my mind and body were at odds with each other. My body kept me taking these anxious, hitching breaths, while the entire time my brain was saying "Dude, what the hell are you doing? There nothing going on, just breathe normally". It took me 5 seconds for my brain to wrest control from my body, and even then, it wasnt complete.

Cant wait to dive again and practice this, I found it fascinating

You didn't mention if you got to try it again and if you were successful?

One tip I got early on, was to first flood your mask and make sure you are breathing alright BEFORE removing it (so in case you are having trouble, you can just plop it back on your face, clear and take a few seconds to compose yourself to try it again)

My little experience with Dutch is that the water is pretty cool...that's a slight shock to begin with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom