Sollys HID canister light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The material is Adiprene - yep - chemist is the right person here. This is a plastic used for casting and as far as the hammer test goes - you can put it in a vise, squeze is flat and it will pop back out, basically it has a very high memory.
Needless to say, this is not something I would recommend anyone go and try at home.

We currently test the lights to 300' - we are expecting to step that up to 500' here pretty soon (when the new pressure pot gets in)...

The primary reason we are using Adiprene and not Delrin for this canister is simply that we are casting rather than maching, this allows us to build in features like the belt loop, the steel threads for the latches and obviosuly the lid.

If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a note:
Terkel@Terkel.net

Btw, the lights are not available online, we are looking to sell these through your LDS only.

Cheers,

Terkel

kalvyn once bubbled...
The next thing I noticed was the Sollys was noticably brighter than my buddy's Helios.
That was my experience too... except I was the one using the Halcyon and PA/NJdiver was using one of Terkel's lights.

You Guys are talking about the materials and everything to the smallest details but I think its all just a bunch Bull, canister light is something so simple, how much can you develop it, every manufacturer makes the same dive light, hell its the same bulb (WA) and ballast how much different can it be ?

Why does it need to be SUPER strong for ?!
What do you put your light through? WAR, dirt racing? WHAT ?!

No wonder so many people make their own light (me too), it's so easy to make.

The thing is why should I pay 750!!! $ for this 10w canister light because it looks flashy from out side?
They all have the same bulb did I say it already?

If you want a good light for half the price of this take one from HAWES lights I bought two light heads from him and they have the same light as the Dive Rite I have at home.
Besides he's the nicest man and beside the fact that he makes good lights he answers every question with joy and helps even when there isn't any cash in it for him.

Check it out:
http://haweslights.com

The battery in the Hawes light is a lead acid, not NiMH like the Helios or Sollys.

For a similar canister size, you'll get half or less burn time with a lead acid compared to a NiMH.

The head isn't focusable, either.

jonnythan beat me to it, but here's my response.

Let's compare apples to apples, Shasha.

It appears that the "Hawes Lights" are very inexpensive, but it's NOT the same thing as a Terkel Light, the Halcyon Helios, or Stealth. The Hawes uses Sealed Lead Acid batteries, not NiMH, doesn't come with a Goodman Handle, doesn't have a focusable head.

If the three light manufacturers I mentioned are overpriced, and comparable lights are so easy and cheap to make, why don't you go into business and compete with them?

Part of the difference in price Shasha would be that the Hawes light uses a sealed lead acid battery, and the lights being discussed in this thread use much more compact NiMH batteries.

And the lightheads are adjustable, rather than fixed focus - there's not a lot of information on the Hawes website, but they appear to be fixed focus.

I think the discussion of materials here is very valid - Delrin is the buzzword in tech diving, there seems to be a mindset amongst some divers that if something is not crafted from Delrin, it's inferior. It's nice to see someone come out with a product that breaks the mold so to speak in terms of both materials (Adiprene versus Delrin), and manufacturing methods (casting versus machining). Obviously casting allows more freedom in designing new features.

You know, I think i'd have to agree a bit there. Now that sartek has an adjustable head, diveright changed their head design slightly and halcyon redesigned their head i'd bet their all quite similar. This terkel light might be an exception if it's that much brighter (if they're using the same balast/bulb i wonder how their doing that - and they likely are).

I think the cool thing of the day now seems to be the smaller canister sizes of the (typically) 4.5 Ah NiMH batteries - but for the difference in price, that Hawes one certainly deserves consideration.

I think some of the problem with the canister HIDs is that they're in such a price range that you typically want to see one first to comparison shop - but thats next to impossible unless you've got some well off tech friends.

I bought the Halcyon 10 watt HID myself, but i have to admit i wasn't married to the idea. Had i seen more canister lights and been satisfied with the quality of them, I likely would have gotten one of those.

I'm actually curious as to why Uk hasn't made a canister version of their Light Cannon - i wouldnt think the manufacturing issues would be TOO much more difficult to overcome and keep it within reason of their price for the light cannon?

Oh well, had to stop work for a bit so this little distraction was good. :)

steve

well, I have to say if correspondence means anything Terkel will have my business from now on, I emailed him with a barrage of questions about the solly's and he got back to me right away and answered everything..... then he told me that he forwarded my email address to Chris Jacobson From Northwest sports divers who sells his lights.....and as usual I thought I would be waiting
awhile seeing it s a holiday weekend..... I was wrong about that Chris was right on the ball and got back to me straight away, and I must say with one heck of a deal too........ they both were more than accommodating, hey and I hadn't even bought anything yet ....... well I have now!
I can't wait to get my hands on it to try it.
If you are at all interested in this light, drop Chris a note a
Chris@nwsportsdivers.com the price was the best I have seen on a HID light in a while.
Rob

Let look at some facts (I'm sure most will agree)

1) Most of us people don't dive more than 120 minutes per dive.
2) Most of us don't use the focus ability even if they have it.
3) Most of us did get to our first million yet.

I'm sure there are allot of people there are professionals that are technical diving all the time that need all the Hi-Tech lights and gear, I'm not saying that everything is bull****.

I'm saying that the difference between the simple and the more advance lights is not all that big.

So the canister is a little smaller, so what is not that big anyway, you will change batteries sometime, right? Once you will it will cost you about 5 times the price of the lead acid ones if not more.

its sort of deciding between two cars with the same engine, one of them has leather seats all the nice things... but they will still run the same on the road, now think that one costs double, will you still buy it ?
Some will most won't.

Back
Top Bottom