OC instructor recommendations!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a couple of friends that are interested in taking an OW class to get started in scuba diving. They asked me for any references for an instructor to use. I wanted to see if anyone here knows/can recommend a good instructor in Orange County (close to Costa Mesa) that they can use. I was going to recommend either Pacific Wilderness in Tustin or Laguna Sea Sports, but I have not taken any classes with either shop. Thanks for your help. :popcorn:

Phil

Jim at Sea Ventures in Fullerton is top notch

Sea Ventures
418 E. Commonwealth, Suite 14 Fulco Center Fullerton, CA 92832-2074
714-871-2218
Ask for Jim Vidmar

$200 for class includes loan of books, or $400 including gear, class is four weeks weather permitting.

Flexible hours, single diver class if necessary. Open 5:00 pm to ~ 7:00 pm week days, do not know weekend hours.

Laguna Sea Sports would be closer to Costa Mesa. The Pacific Wilderness store is actually in Orange. LSS has the added advantages of an on-site pool and being within walking distance of Shaws Cove. I think you will find quality instructors at either store.

TeqP:
I have a couple of friends that are interested in taking an OW class to get started in scuba diving. They asked me for any references for an instructor to use. I wanted to see if anyone here knows/can recommend a good instructor in Orange County (close to Costa Mesa) that they can use. I was going to recommend either Pacific Wilderness in Tustin or Laguna Sea Sports, but I have not taken any classes with either shop. Thanks for your help. :popcorn:

Phil

Any of the instructors at Pacific Wilderness are excellent. If you want specific ask for David Gallo, or Brian Johnson. $279 complete (Beach & Boat) for Open Water cert.

Craig Oberlin. "Otter" here on the board. craig@oberlin.us

I've done all my certs. with him since 2003, and many of my friends have as well.
He's nearby in Tustin. And he doesn't have all the overhead of a shop. One great instructor who knows his stuff, gives you personal attention, and is a cool dude.
Craig rules. Look no further.

Kevin

Another recommendation for Craig. He spends the time necessary to make you a fully competent diver.

I'd second going through Milo at BCS in Cypress

I would also recommend Brian Johnson at Pacific Wilderness. I just finished my DM class with him. David Gallo is also another great instructor there as well.

Back
Top Bottom