scuba magzines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do a search..there's plenty of threads on this..but Dive Training is a great mag...and usually your LDS has it free...but if you need to buy it...but it's worth it...

Scuba Diving, and Sport Diver are alright...but really travel centric....

DT is my favorite. You can get a free 6 month subscription from your dive shop (or you used to be able to).

When my subscription ran out years ago, I started subscribing to it and have never regretted it.

There are also a few free online Magazines available like X-Ray mag.

I'm a fan of the UK publication DIVER. You can find it in Barnes and Noble sometimes. It has a great mix of sites from around the world, recreational and technical (if that is interesting to you). Most the US publications are the same Caribbean and South Pacific photo spreads. Interesting but the cookie cutter approach gets old after you’ve seen the same places every few months.

PADI has a UK version of it's publication I found the last time through London Heathrow airport. It was similar to DIVER but it included DVDs with great footage. Not much help for us Texans since it's only at WHS Smith in the UK but I was thinking about checking into mail order. I'm not sure if it was a pilot program or not. I’ll be through there again Thursday so I was going to check into it if I’m not running to the gate.

The readership of 1950s and 1960s diving mags generally dived in their own locality and didn't have a lot of money to spend. They make far more interesting reading than today's mags that too often resemble travel brochures because their audience never dives except in exotic locations. When there are discussions of equipment in modern mags, only the products of the world players seem to get a mention, while equipment designed amd manufactured in countries such as Japan, Russia, Greece, Turkey, Mexico and Brazil is usually ignored. I'd like to see more emphasis too on simple snorkelling, an underrated activity that isn't just a prelude to scuba diving or freediving but a complete leisure pursuit in its own right.

You think the big players would tap into both markets by offering a choice of targeted audience publications for subscribers. I used to be a member of experimental aircraft association (EAA) and that's what they did. You can have the generic newstand copy or the one focussed on what you want. Wreck\Cave\Regional seem to be pretty big catagories to work with.

Suther2136:
Thanks, I go to the UK 2-3 times a year on business, I'll look for that one.

The PADI one caught me off guard last month since I had just picked up that month's at home. You had a choice of a magazine focused on Caribbean wrecks or the Red Sea, both with DVD. Make sure you go the WHS Smith, the cover said it was only available there. I'm headed through Heathrow twice in the next week, so I'll update the post if I see it again.

Suther2136:
Thanks. I picked up Scuba Diving Mag recently, but it was the photo issue. Love the photos, but I was looking for more info, I try it again next month.

Why look any further, you've found it ,......here.........Of course it's only on line....Also, great pics here too.......good luck with your diving future, the only thing that limits you is your pocket book.......

Back
Top Bottom