UWATEC Aladan Prime vs Oceanic Veo 180

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeNomad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am just getting into diving and I've been looking at equipment for a while. Next year I plan to take a nitrox course. Right now the two computers that seem suitable for me are the Aladan Prime and the Veo 180.

I am basically looking for something that I can wear on my wrist, will do nitrox, work at altitude, and download to a computer. I am a student, so budget is a concern and I'm not to keen on air integration just now.

Now, I was wondering if anyone could share their opinions on which of these two computers is 'the best', or 'best bang for your dollar' and why. After examining the features they appear to do pretty much the same things. Thanks!

PS: If you buy a used computer, is the warranty transferable or void with both of these companies?

If you plan to be diving on altitude go for Aladin Tec2G instead of Aladin Prime.

Btw, that's where my vote goes - Aladins are user friendly, come with great software that's easy to connect to a PC via IR adapter and packed with features.

might want to consider the Veo 250, a good bit more features, but not much more $$. If bought used, the warranty is void for Oceanic, not sure about SP.

aquaticmatt:
might want to consider the Veo 250, a good bit more features, but not much more $$. If bought used, the warranty is void for Oceanic, not sure about SP.

Now you have me interested in the Veo 250 and the Geo since yes, they are pretty close in price. I am wondering, if you need to do something underwater with the Geo are those watch-like buttons easy to use wearing 5 mm gloves?

The Geo is a nice, easy to use computer and it also looks pretty good as a wristwatch. Once you set up your dive plan, it will automatically go into dive mode once you get in the water (as long as you have wet activation set to "on"). Nitrox capable up to 50% and has gauge and free dive modes as well. As far as buttons go, I've never used the Geo with 5mm gloves on. The buttons are decent size and you would really only need to use the backlight button (bottom right) underwater. Just about all of the data that you would need is on the main dive screen while underwater. My suggestion would be to go to your nearest LDS that stocks Oceanic and take your gloves to the store and play with the computer with your gloves on. Good luck!

I have a Tec2g and love it. Easy to use, versatile and downloads to my computer via IR.

The prime is basically the same thing as the Tec with less features.

There is a significant difference with respect to the dive profile allowable by UWATEC and Oceanic computers. Oceanic computers are more liberal with respect to UWATEC. Thought might be something you look into.

I am happy with my UWATEC Aladin Tec2G as well.

I was wondering, what comes in the UWATEC computer boxes, I have a chance to buy a used one, and want to make sure I'm not gonna be missing anything. So, the Aladin Prime/Tec connects with IR, do you need a USB IR adaptor?

What comes in the UWATEC computer boxes is the instruction manual, CD with Smarttrak, the box, and credit card size card that you show to a scubapro dealership just in case your computer completely goes berserk. And yes you need a USB IR adapter for IR. However, I used to have the prime computer but then I upgraded to the smartcom computer instead. Maybe if you want to do some fasting on your money and save some bucks, you can get the smartcom which will serve you good.

They sell an IR cable separately. You may be able to pick one up somewhere else cheaper. I had trouble finding anyone who carried one separate from another IR device I didn't want to pay for. I didn't try eBay.

Not including one is my only gripe.

I had a failure on the original Tec model (IR problem) but they replaced it with a 2g. Apparently that was common with the original Tec. I haven't heard any problems with the Prime but you may want to check into that. I think there were some threads on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom