Where to take my honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know you but I highly recomend the Cayman Islands. Not Cheap but really really nice. Thats where my wife and I honeymooned 6 years ago. On our 2nd day of the trip we decided we were going to go back for our ten year reunion. We both got certified there. She hated it but thats where I fell in love with scuba diving. I gave her a lot of credit for trying it and getting certified. There is this area called 7 mile beach that has a bunch of luxury hotels and great resturants.

Good Luck

Billy, I would like to throw in a suggestion for a specific cruise ship -- the Paul Gauguin, which cruises French Polynesia and surrounding areas (the Marquesas, the Tuamotus).

This would provide you with the best of all worlds. I agree with those who suggested Bora Bora -- and the ship spends at least one day (and sometimes two) there. But it will also take you to the other islands, including Tahiti, Moorea, and several other nearby islands (depending on itinerary), while offering far more than you can get at any one resort.

Why do I think this would be the perfect honeymoon?

1. French Polynesia has gotta be the most romantic place on earth -- it's truly paradise -- but it's EXPENSIVE...unless you visit it on the PG. The PG is astonishingly affordable, offering a degree of luxury that you can't find in any resort in French Polynesia without paying ten times the price.

2. The ship is a six-star luxury ship, in a six-star luxury line -- it's top-notch all the way, from the cabins to the food to the service to...well...everything. It's not like what you would commonly think of when you hear "cruise" -- there are no belly-flop or hairy-chest contests at the pool, no long lines at all-you-can-eat buffets. Unlike the mass-market cruise lines, it's truly all-inclusive -- and I mean ALL! That includes fine wines poured liberally at dinner, top-shelf cocktails, NO tipping, NO extra charges for specialty restaurants, NO extra charges for anything. It's a small ship -- only 330 passengers, unlike most mass-market ships, which usually house 2000+ passengers.

3. You can dive...while your new bride can do other things! The ship has it's own dive crew (who are fabulous), and offers amazing diving from zodiacs right off the back of the ship. If your wife doesn't mind giving you up for a couple of hours, you can go on any of the many dives they offer, while your wife can perhaps go on a land excursion that you might not be interested in. Maybe a visit to a black pearl farm (the most beautiful black pearls in the world come from French Polynesia), or some other shopping-related excursion...or perhaps a snorkeling trip, or a dolphin-viewing excursion. The point is, this cruise is the perfect vacation for a couple in which only one is a diver, as there is more than enough for the non-diving person to do, while the diver can do some of the best dives on the planet. (Twelve-food manta-rays anyone? How about 8-foot hammerheads? :D)

4. If you enjoy fine dining, it doesn't get much finer than this. The food on the ship is truly gourmet...and I'm picky. I've been on a lot of cruises, from mass-market to luxury, and most food at sea ranges from barely acceptable to downright inedible. But on this ship I felt like I was in culinary heaven, at every meal. This is particularly important if you are considering Bora Bora or any other island in French Polynesia. The reality is that food in FP is generally, well, not that great -- and it's WAY rediculously expensive. If you tried to duplicate the PG dining experience on any of the islands, you would easily triple your vacation spending, and it still wouldn't be nearly as good. I don't think I ate a single decent meal on land while I was there.

I probably sound like a commercial for this cruise, but I promise I am getting nothing to promote it...just the sense of satisfaction I'll get if a friend of mine gets to enjoy what ranks among the greatest experiences of my life! PM me if you want more info.

Wow! You've got me wanting to go on this cruise and I absolutely positively hate them! I get claustrophobia at the idea of them......and plus all those people compressed on one ship...has never really been my idea of fun.

But still, the fact that you got me wanting to go on this line....seriously, you should look into being an agent for them. :wink:

Sorry, I have no ideas for the OP's question.

Married :confused: I wasn't even invited to the wedding! :(

No advice, cuz everyone here had better honeymoons than me (both times)... just a congrats on the married thing...

I'd recommend West Coast Thailand; for 32 Thai Baht to the US Dollar --great inexpensive diving for You, great shopping opportunities for Her. And bring the Wife too on a daytrip diving charter out to the Similans: beautiful warm & clear waters for her to snorkel in, with a nice variety of Coral and Marine Life for you to observe at depth. For starters, look at the Novotel Phuket Resort overlooking Patong Beach. . .

Congrats & Have a Wonderful Life Together!

Wow...I'm for what LeeAnne is peddling! :D

That sounds absolutely heavenly, and I hate the thought of cruises. Sounds like the way they used to be 50 years ago.

crazyTomato:
Wow! You've got me wanting to go on this cruise and I absolutely positively hate them! I get claustrophobia at the idea of them......and plus all those people compressed on one ship...has never really been my idea of fun.

But still, the fact that you got me wanting to go on this line....seriously, you should look into being an agent for them. :wink:

Sorry, I have no ideas for the OP's question.

I was thinking the same thing.... I would rather stay home than go on a cruise but somehow I find myself searching the web to find this cruiseships web site... If Leejd does not want to work for this cruise company she could always sell ice to the eskimos.

JMD123:
I was thinking the same thing.... I would rather stay home than go on a cruise but somehow I find myself searching the web to find this cruiseships web site... If Leejd does not want to work for this cruise company she could always sell ice to the eskimos.
LOL! Hmmm...maybe I should consider a new line of work?

Anyway, I completely agree with the aversion to standard cruises. I've been on a couple of them solely for the kids, because they usually have great kids programs. But there ARE cruise lines out there that do it the right way...it's just that usually you have to be in the upper strata of income to be able to afford them. This one cruise ship is the only one I've ever seen that gives this level of luxury for such an affordable price.

As for being crowded, that's one thing you WON'T find on this ship. It only carries 330 passengers, yet the ship is big enough for twice that many. I was on it for 12 days, and it never felt remotely crowded. And the claustrophobia factor doesn't exist because it spends all the days at islands, and travels at night. It's really a one-of-a-kind vacation. I can't believe that more divers haven't discovered it, because it really is the perfect trip for someone with a non-diving partner.

But enough about that. Billy, so tell us what you pick! And congrats again!

Congrats on the wedding!

I too have two words..BORA BORA!! A truely incredible place!
I satyed at the Pearl Beach resort and loved it.....the diving not bad if you can sneak away in the morning!

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone and thanks for the warnings and congratulations. hahah!

I have been on more cruises than I can count but LeeAnne, that sounds incredible and the rooms are a really big for a cruise ship. Unfortunately this would be her first cruise and I wouldn't want our honeymoon to become an experiment to see if she likes them or not. I think we might end up doing something like that for our 1 year anniversary so I will definitely be getting info for next year. Thank you so much!

Kalani and Kevrumbo, I think Thailand will be a dive trip for me in the next few years. Everyone I know who has gone there fell in love with it and couldn't wait to go back. Thanks for the suggestion.

I guess my bride was already thinking about Bora Bora (the less arguing the better right?) so that seems to be the front runner. Fiji sounds pretty amazing too. What time of year is best for either locations? What type of things are there to do besides sit around and sip overly sweet drinks and dive (not at the same time of course)?

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Keep em comin'!!!

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom