Our planned encounter this weekend with a giant catfish in a private pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hurt Me . . . Hurt Me ! ! ! ! !:shakehead

Mamma, feeeeeed meeeeee ! ! ! ! !

the K-not in the Stomach

You aren't that far away Kracken! You could come join us!! We plan to be in the water as day breaks between 5:30am and 6am dive for a while and then head off for a nice meal.

We are diving Jocassee on May 26 and the private ponds on the 27th.

The Kraken:
But you best watch out for them snapping turtles . . . theygonnagichew !!!

the K-arp Pond Diver

HUH????:confused: :confused: :11: :eyemouth: :martian: :voskl1: :sprint: OK, so now I'm a little nervous about this . . . we'll let you know how it goes!

Is spear fishing Game fish legal in SC. :) I am checking on Noodling in SCUBA since spearing game fish is out in GA. :D

BAH no SCUBA Noodling

Said chapter is further amended by adding a new Code Section 27-4-37 to read as follows:
"27-4-37.
(a) It shall be unlawful to fish for game fish, catfish, and all other species of fish in the freshwaters of the state by grabbling, noodling, or hand grabbing except as provided in this Code section. Flathead, channel, and blue catfish may be taken by hand without the aid of any device, hook, snare, net, or other artificial instrument and without the aid of any scuba equipment, air hose, or other artificial breathing apparatus between March 1 and July 15 of each year.

Jocasseegirl:
HUH????:confused: :confused: :11: :eyemouth: :martian: :voskl1: :sprint: OK, so now I'm a little nervous about this . . . we'll let you know how it goes!
Don'tchy'all have 'gators down there? My niece lives in Sumter, and she claims she's seen them in nearby ponds ... :shocked:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Once upon a time...

My partner and I were on a training platform in a lake in Texas (Lake Travis, to be exact). It was at the end of a course, and the DM provided us with cans of vienna sausage, which we broke apart and fed to the squadron of catfish that gathered around us. Each was about 16 inches long and probably weighed a couple of pounds (we measured them against our arms to be sure).
Well, presently my partner tapped me on the shoulder and pointed at something under the platform. There on the bottom was a HUGE flathead catfish. My partner pinched off a bit of sausage and dropped it in front of the big fellow, and we watched closely, expecting to see him "inhale" the bait. However, another catfish--one of the two pounders--went after the sausage instead. In a flash, that huge yellow cat lunged and sucked up the TWO POUND channel cat! As the flathead slowly moved off , only the tail of the other catffish was hanging out of its mouth.
Made a believer out of me. Sure hope the algae doesn't keep you from seeing something as impressive. Have fun!

Leah, I can't wait to read these reports. As Kraken said this will surely be a "hoot!"

My parents have two ponds on their farm and I have most definitely stood on the pier of one contemplating diving it. I thought I was one of the few kooky, dive crazed females to think about diving a pond. :D

You gals ROCK ! ! !
the K-atfish Whisker

It would be alot of fun for one of you to distract a really big one while the other drops down from above, grabs some whiskers and off you go. Flintstone type x-scooter!

JimLap:
It would be alot of fun for one of you to distract a really big one while the other drops down from above, grabs some whiskers and off you go. Flintstone type x-scooter!
Put the remote control down and step away from the TV :D

Back
Top Bottom