Lightzilla won't stay lit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Halcyon HID 10 W (new head). Light is a couple of months old, maybe 10 dives on it.

Last week

- First dive - perfect.

- Second dive - flicker, flash, die. Let it cool, flash, clicker, dull, die.

I'm home, watching the Lakers get lit tonight, fill a bucket with water. Turn on the light, drop the head in...flicker, flash, die.

$%#^@&*

What's the deal? I've read the threads about the intermittent striking issues - is there something I can do, or can I isolate the issue before I call Halcyon and possibly give up my light (albeit, not currently working) for a week or two?

I know some of you have had this problem....what did you do?

Thanks much

K

Sounds like the bulb may be loose, it can rattle loose over time. Put it back in and see what happens.

HTH

Thanks, Wet. I took apart the head last night and sort of wriggled things around a bit.

One of the things that amazes me about this light is how fast it charges. I mean it takes minutes. So last night, as the Lakers mount one of the greatest one-quarter comebacks in history (only to be denied at the door...) I pull out and hook up the charger.

And its charging, and charging, and charging, and charging....

Hmmmm.....:confused:

The Lakers lose, I hit the rack. I wake up this AM and the green light is on. Cool. So I hook it all up, toss it into the bucket 'o water, and now its working great.

Hmmmm......:confused:

This calls to mind some kind of self discharge. I've never run it down deep into the cycle (2 - 3 dives a day, diving a single will never approach its 4 hour burn.) I charge it after each trip. I have the E/O, so I pack it without the head attached. Maybe it got turned on somehow in packing....? But with no lamp, can it sort if trickle its self down?

Does what I described above sound like a dead / dying batt, of all things? Maybe not enough 'umph to keep the arc?

If it was a simple dead batt (its blazing now) you can take a number and line up to kick me in the butt (after me, of course).... as charging the batt should have been step number 1 in my triage.

What a dolt.

Man... we'll see.

25 minutes - perfect light. Gotta go to work. I'm powering down and taking this back up this evenig.

Hmmmmm.......:confused:

K

Got home, turned on and sunk the light, watched the Dux handle the Mild....

Burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin, burnin',burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin'.....

Dux SCORE

Burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin, burnin',burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin'.....

Dux SCORE

Dux SCORE

Dux SCORE

Must have discharged. I suck.

Go Ducks.

My buddy had the same problem in Bonaire and took it apart and put it back together again and it worked the rest of the trip. This problem, among the other 4 I have seen, are the reason that I didn't go with the new focusable 10w lighthead on my new light.

Hope they got all the issues ironed out....has it ever flaked out before?

I remember reading about that Bonaire Light incident (I think in the now defunct BAAT newsletter. I hear my mint condition Issue 1 Volume 1 is a collector's item. I may troll it onto eBay and see what I can get for it!)

The only thing that I can think of is it simply discharged. I mean, its still burnin' right now - 3+ hours later! It had never taken more than about 15 minutes to charge, and the other night, after about 30 minutes I went to bed. I'm sure it was just discharged, and I'm just a putz with a brain like mortadella.

When you comin' to So Cal, man?

k

Back
Top Bottom