Fantasy Island trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba6262

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The good, the bad and the ugly. April 2007

The Good: the beach was great, the resort grounds were kept beautifully, the monkeys did something to make us laugh every day, the food was decent but not inspired, the hotel and waitstaff were very accommodating and pleasant, the activitities desk had some great off-resort adventures, 2 PC’s were located in the lobby with free internet service, small fridge located in our room.

The Bad: saggy mattresses, our room (located in Building 4) had the worst bathroom (the tub and toilet seat were painted with white paint, making them look dirty beyond belief), if you want a remote control for your TV, you must leave a $20 deposit at the reception desk. Ditto for the beach towels.

The Ugly: I was less than impressed with the dive operation. From the too long dive orientation on Monday morning, to the rush to wait in line with 100 other divers for weights, to there being too many divers for too few lockers, to the rusty ladders with rungs missing, it was a disappointment. I felt that our boat captain was annoyed with his job most of the time.

The Diving: We dove Mary’s Place, a supposedly “must dive” site. It’s a swim through beginning at 90 feet and rising to 40?? feet. The appeal was lost on me since I was at the tail end of the group, with a lot of silt and sand stirred up by the time I entered. Also dove a wreck named Mr. Bud, look for the bicycle and radio on the deck. You can penetrate the wreck, it's pretty wide open. My favorite dive was 40 Feet Deep?? because we saw some free swimming green morays at the anchor line. Someone had baited the anchor line with fish heads which attracted the morays plus a large grouper. It was my first time seeing free swimming morays, it was very cool. Seas varied considerably during the week, sometimes calm, sometimes very rough.

All in all, it was a good (not excellent) trip.

Sorry to hear your diving wasn't better.

Mary's place is pretty cool, but if it's silted up, I bet it would suck. There are lots of cool things living in the crevices.

scuba6262:
The good, the bad and the ugly. April 2007

The Good: the beach was great, the resort grounds were kept beautifully, the monkeys did something to make us laugh every day, the food was decent but not inspired, the hotel and waitstaff were very accommodating and pleasant, the activitities desk had some great off-resort adventures, 2 PC’s were located in the lobby with free internet service, small fridge located in our room.

The Bad: saggy mattresses, our room (located in Building 4) had the worst bathroom (the tub and toilet seat were painted with white paint, making them look dirty beyond belief), if you want a remote control for your TV, you must leave a $20 deposit at the reception desk. Ditto for the beach towels.

The Ugly: I was less than impressed with the dive operation. From the too long dive orientation on Monday morning, to the rush to wait in line with 100 other divers for weights, to there being too many divers for too few lockers, to the rusty ladders with rungs missing, it was a disappointment. I felt that our boat captain was annoyed with his job most of the time.

The Diving: We dove Mary’s Place, a supposedly “must dive” site. It’s a swim through beginning at 90 feet and rising to 40?? feet. The appeal was lost on me since I was at the tail end of the group, with a lot of silt and sand stirred up by the time I entered. Also dove a wreck named Mr. Bud, look for the bicycle and radio on the deck. You can penetrate the wreck, it's pretty wide open. My favorite dive was 40 Feet Deep?? because we saw some free swimming green morays at the anchor line. Someone had baited the anchor line with fish heads which attracted the morays plus a large grouper. It was my first time seeing free swimming morays, it was very cool. Seas varied considerably during the week, sometimes calm, sometimes very rough.

All in all, it was a good (not excellent) trip.

You've basically described the diving on the south side....IMO, except for the Italian's shark dive(Cara a Cara), the north side & West End have MUCH better diving.....The best part of Mary's Place is the abundance of seahorses found on the 'top side' after the crack...Also have seen eagle rays there 2/6 times I've dived it.......

The dive you're recalling is called 40 Foot Point......a very mundane dive, IMO.....Next time, go to AKR, BIBR, ILR, Sueno's(or other places on West End), you'll be very pleasantly surprised.....

BTW, after Mr. Albert Jackson sold Fantasy(that's his big house- mansion- before Fantasy on the hillside), I'd heard it went down a bit.......Our 1st trip(1 out of 26) to Roatan in '94, we stayed there & found the food, dive employees, & accomodations to be very good......I guess a decade+ makes things a little different.....Again, try the 'other' sides.....

About 2 years ago FI built a group of new rooms. I believe it was about 40. The dive operation, which was marginal before, is now really overburdened. The dive facility is in desperate need of expansion in order to handle the increased number of divers.

keyshunter:
About 2 years ago FI built a group of new rooms. I believe it was about 40. The dive operation, which was marginal before, is now really overburdened. The dive facility is in desperate need of expansion in order to handle the increased number of divers.

that's not good.....new owners trying to 'cash in' IMO.....

diver 85:
that's not good.....new owners trying to 'cash in' IMO.....

To be fair, if you were an owner, wouldn't you want to make money ? You have to figure they bought the resort with financing and it will take them at least a few years if not many years to break even. They invested more money to expand the resort. Hopefully for us divers, their next investment will be in the dive operations.

I'll be in Roatan for the 1st time in August, staying at Cocoview. When I was researching where to stay/dive, Cocoview marketed itself as a dedicated dive resort. Fantasy Island markets itself as beach resort with great diving. As this will be a trip with just my dive buddies we chose Cocoview. If I were going with a mix of divers and non divers, we would have probably chosen FI.

Went to CoCoView last summer - much, much better experience than that described in the OP for Fantasy Island. Dive Op was very good and food was better than expected. Room was OK but we spent little time there.

Jim

ronrosa:
To be fair, if you were an owner, wouldn't you want to make money ? You have to figure they bought the resort with financing and it will take them at least a few years if not many years to break even. They invested more money to expand the resort. Hopefully for us divers, their next investment will be in the dive operations.

I'll be in Roatan for the 1st time in August, staying at Cocoview. When I was researching where to stay/dive, Cocoview marketed itself as a dedicated dive resort. Fantasy Island markets itself as beach resort with great diving. As this will be a trip with just my dive buddies we chose Cocoview. If I were going with a mix of divers and non divers, we would have probably chosen FI.

By cashing in, I'm talking about the way it(FI) 'seems' today vs 12 to 15 yrs ago....by cashin in I'm talking about the over abundance of divers vs. the size of the dive shop space..........If all this is true, they'll pay for it in the long run......

Also, I've said it before & I'll state it again, the diving is much better on the north side, West End vs the south side.....That I know from experience.......

I hear ya diver 85. Sounds like they've had plenty of time to improve dive operations. You are right, if they don't keep the divers happy, they will loose that part of their business.

Just curious, where else have you dove and what kind of diving do you like ?

I've been to a lot of places in the Caribbean, and it is starting to look similar to me. I've just started to get an appreciation for macro and the freedom of shore diving which is a big reason I chose Cocoview for my 1st Roatan visit.

I'll have to make a return visit to dive the west and north sides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom