Need advice. Last minute plans. Duluth, Apostle Islands Bayfield area, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just decided to go visit a friend of mine up in Duluth and will be there May 19th (sat) through probably May 22nd (Tues). I know of a charter that we'll get on sat/sun/tues eve. After this my options are open until May 25th (friday) evening when I have to be in Montello, WI (about an hour north of Madison). Any ideas on where I could go and dive Wed, Thurs, or Fri?
When I was a kid I used to go to the apostle islands with my family quite a bit. We did a bunch of sailing, kayaking, hiking, etc. I remember my dad used to dive up there but after doing a search it seems like that has really died off. Not sure why as the water was so clear we spotted a wreck while boating one time that was nearly 50 ft deep. So cool to see it right from the surface. Anyone know of any options up there?
There is also Lake Wazee in Black River Falls which is right on my way back. Right now that is looking like it is probably my best option. Must one dive with a buddy at this place? Is it likely that there will be divers there during the middle of the week?
Thanks!

I dive the Apostle Islands almost every summer. I have hooked up with a guy from Clear Lake, WI. He runs dive charters in the area. He does have some type of website. So some internet search may bring it up. His first name is Dean. If I remember correctly he usually isn't ready until after Memorial Weekend. Mostly due to cold water temps. Wreck Diving is above average. There are a number of wrecks mostly less than 50' deep. Some partially intact and some debris fields. Visability ranges from 50'-100'.

I'm looking for a dive buddy that knows a good place to take a new diver in the Bayfield, WI area (doesn't necessarily have to be in the big lake). I'll be up there on 6/26(Tuesday).

TPete61:
I dive the Apostle Islands almost every summer. I have hooked up with a guy from Clear Lake, WI. He runs dive charters in the area. He does have some type of website. So some internet search may bring it up. His first name is Dean. If I remember correctly he usually isn't ready until after Memorial Weekend. Mostly due to cold water temps. Wreck Diving is above average. There are a number of wrecks mostly less than 50' deep. Some partially intact and some debris fields. Visability ranges from 50'-100'.

This must be you buddy...
http://www.northlandequipment.net/aboutus.htm
I'll check that out but certainly am open to other options. If anyone in the area wants a buddy Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday morning let me know.

I love Lake Wazee. Usually go up there a couple of time a summer. Rent tanks from
http://www.wazeesports.com If you call Keith there he might know of a buddy or go wih you. You will need a dive flag there. Costs for park fee at the lake, $12.00 last year...

I got in touch with Dean and he's not doing charters in the apostles until after memorial day so it looks like I'll do Lake Wazee. Bringing my bicycle and windsurfing gear with too so hopefully I'll get a chance to use it.

Where is the best place to camp in the area? Lake Wazee sites have no electric, showers, etc and that is vital.

What is funny is that I have microsoft mappoint 2006 (the latest one) and it doesn't even have Lake Wazee on it! Not just missing a name...the lake isn't there at all! How is that possible when it is the deepest one in WI and has been there about 20 yrs?

Back
Top Bottom