TSDT Possum Kingdom Lake Dive May 31 - June 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a reminder - that second thermocline during March dropped into the low 50's, and apparently doesn't get a LOT warmer in the summer (at least, according to JT2 :) ). So if you want to see some of the neater features (underwater forests, etc), I'd personally (note: only been there once) recommend a comfy wetsuit.

I hope to see y'all there :)

JT2 once bubbled...
The first one is usually between 27 and 33ft, with the second between 55-68ft.

We're going to plan on making it out to PK Saturday at least. :) I'll probably bring our camping gear so if you would, save us a spot for a tent also.
Any suggestions on what to bring?

JT2 once bubbled...
There are several different dives and dive plans that I have for the areas we will be diving, and I usually just get with everybody and find out what their comfort levels are as far as depth, water temp, and how long they like to spend underwater. After I do that I will better know which dives to take the different divers to do. Generally speaking there are a lot of fun easy dives with plenty of fish and ledges to see off of the back cut cliffs in the 25-45ft range with the bottom being at about 60ft in those areas. Down by the dam there are several good wall dives where we usually stay in the 45-70ft range with the bottom being 100ft+. If anyone is interested and qualified I can also take them closer to the dam where there is an underwater road and HUGE bolders on the bottom between 105-130ft, but I caution that this is a COLD DARK dive, but very interesting. There are also some good sunken boats to dive in the main body of the lake, but sometimes if there is too much boat traffic it is kind of dangerous to anchor up in these areas and the BRA frowns on it.

The water temp in the summer gets up to about 84 with the first thermocline being about 76 or so and the second one being much colder(high 50's).

140' in Possum Kingdom?? I am from Grand Prairie but I have been out of state for several years...It looks like I may be coming home this summer:) I dive were it never gets above 40' below the themocline. what kind of vis?? are there any other deep diving spots around??? I live in drysuits and trimix
thanks

rogerhelmich once bubbled...
140' in Possum Kingdom?? I am from Grand Prairie but I have been out of state for several years...It looks like I may be coming home this summer I dive were it never gets above 40' below the themocline. what kind of vis?? are there any other deep diving spots around??? I live in drysuits and trimix
Depending on who you ask PK is saide to be from 125-145ft deep. The deepest my gauges have ever read is 132ft, and that was really close to the dam. I have made several 110-120ft dives at PK and I do not doubt that there is a hole somewhere by the dam where you might hit 140-145ft when the lake is full, but I do know you can reach 132ft, and it is as dark as the inside of a cow at that depth!

Lake Travis down by Austin is deeper than PK. I believe it is around 170-190ft at it's deepest points.

JT2 once bubbled...
Depending on who you ask PK is saide to be from 125-145ft deep. The deepest my gauges have ever read is 132ft, and that was really close to the dam. I have made several 110-120ft dives at PK and I do not doubt that there is a hole somewhere by the dam where you might hit 140-145ft when the lake is full, but I do know you can reach 132ft, and it is as dark as the inside of a cow at that depth!

Lake Travis down by Austin is deeper than PK. I believe it is around 170-190ft at it's deepest points.

Dark is a subjective term. Is it Dark because of a themocline inversion layer, or is it a limestone slit layer which would be called,'black water' Most Lakes that I have been in get pretty dark because of themoclines below about 60-70 feet and it is time to turn on the headlights. But in Black water lights do not work for more than a couple of feet... there is a quarry in PA that has Black water. At 89 feet light is still good and at 92 feet it is Black...

So what kinda of hefer are we speaking of???

and in Texas were there are lake monsters (catfish 100+lbs) this could be important for those wanting to venture into the depths
LOL

rogerhelmich once bubbled...
Dark is a subjective term. Is it Dark because of a themocline inversion layer, or is it a limestone slit layer which would be called,'black water' Most Lakes that I have been in get pretty dark because of themoclines below about 60-70 feet and it is time to turn on the headlights.
I guess I would have to say both, because I have been down there when with a good light you might have 10-15ft viz, and I have also been down there when there was so much particulate matter in the water that a light is useless.

and in Texas were there are lake monsters (catfish 100+lbs) this could be important for those wanting to venture into the depths
I can take you and show you some huge catfish during their spawning season(right now) that would scare you. They are not usually in the really deep water though, we know where there are several holes in the rock ledges in which very large Flatheads and some Blues reside, and if you reach in and mess with them this time of year they will bite and not let go! Some of the biggest catfish I have ever seen have been caught by "grabbing" them up in Oklahoma in Cache Creek. It is illegal to grab catfish in Texas, but it is legal in Oklahoma, and we go on at least one weekend trip a year and take part in this spring ritual. It is extremely exciting and borderline insane as well as dangerous though. For the record, we do release all of the really big ones that we catch so that they may return to spawn.

It is extremely exciting and borderline insane as well as dangerous though.

So is riding a bull after a night at Cowboys at Drunk-thirty with a pinch of copehegen, but did that ever stop a dare from happening? Damn that 1800!!!

I saw two 10lbs Cats at 90' in 38 degree water this last weekend and they were having a blast!!! That being up here in George Bush country :wink:

Cant say that I have ever taken part in a 'Cat Grabbing". I do hear that some skill is needed for the adventure. Like being sure to be quick enough to get your hand (arm) all of the way through to the Gills to hold on or it ain't gonna be just another 8 seconds.

If I dont get to come home for summer, I will be sure to have the doubles in the back of the truck soon as I have to come down there any way regardless
thanks
Roger

Hurry up and get back down here and I'll take you grabbing.

Oh yeah, by the way, I have had more than one night like that at Cowboy's, as well as many other not so famous Texas night clubs. Also did the rodeo thing right out of high school for a couple of years. Mickey Gee(world champion steer wrestler) is my brother in law.

Those and more! Oh to be fearless again:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom