Ear ache 13 days after last dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm:
The question is, is it an otitis externa (swimmers ear), or a middle ear infection?

Hi Fisherdvm,

My article on otitis externa (aka "swimmer's ear") in the current (Apr/May '07) issue of DAN's Alert Diver helps to answer that.

For example, with swimmer's ear, as opposed to uncomplicated middle ear infection (otitis media), there is redness and swelling of the skin of the ear canal. This can be seen not only with an otoscope, but sometimes with the naked eye. It typically starts with an itchy sensation and evolves to become painful, sometimes very painful. There may be a discharge from the ear, or increased amounts of ear wax. And perhaps most diagnostic, the pain may become worse when chewing or turning the head, and will become worse when pushing or pulling on the ear lobe or related structures.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I have have the same problem for over a month now. I been to ENT got some antibotic (oral) and those majaic ear drops (cipro HC). After 10 days of treatment, it didn't get any better, went back and was put on a steriod ear drop dermotic oil for redness and swelling and itching, clogged, drainage, ringing in the ear. My ear was so clogged could bearly hear out of it. Doc did a culture, and come to find out it wasn't a infection, it was a fungus, and was put on anti fungal, which you can buy OTC. Lotrimin liquid drops, after a couple of days I can hear again. LOL Always best to check with a doc, but this is something you may try, and save some time. Hope this helps.

Otitis Externa

Keep It Clean

I'm going through the samething. My last dive was Monday. It's still hurting. (both ears)

I figured awhile back that, if I let the wax build up somewhat, that'd it'd protect my ears from getting infected. It kinda worked on the last several dives, minus the last one. After reading te second link, I realize that I need to keep them clean for proper equilization. I never really had problems equilizing but, I did notice I had to do it a little harder than I should.

Hope this helps you. I'll find out after my ears clear and I get them cleaned and start usingthe right solution. I'll report how it goes.

Michael

underachiever:
Doctor said no infection. Probably just the allergies and stuff.
Didn't someone say Pollen count...??

Who was that...? :crafty:

Ear cockroaches...?!

Hi mwhities,

The otitis externa article that you linked appeared over 8 years ago in the Jan/Feb 1999 issue of Alert Diver. The drops recommended, Otic Domeboro, have been off the market as that brand since Dec 2000.

Several more recent pieces on OE have appeared since, including one last year and the one in the current issue mentioned in my post above.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Mwhities, I think your prescription is out of date. :)

Ahhh sorry. I am desperate to get something that works. I guess vinegar and alcohol for me! :)

The cleaning one is still good, no?

Michael

mwhities:
Ahhh sorry. I am desperate to get something that works. I guess vinegar and alcohol for me! :)

The cleaning one is still good, no?

Michael
I used the vinegar-alcohol after every dive and every shower on a dive trip and have no problems. I was slow to learn, tho - had several bad ear infections.

If you still have ear problems, get to a physician.

Hi Michael,

The "Keeping It Clean" piece contains much good info.

I would add that, "When you bathe, occasionally wash with a bulb syringe, warm soapy water and hydrogen peroxide solution," should be interpreted as very occasionally. The ear canal usually is largely self-cleaning and too much irrigating, especially with strong products like hydrogen peroxide, can remove needed protection and dry the canal excessively, both of which predispose to infection.

In this same vein, "On a diving trip, use a mixture of half white vinegar and half rubbing alcohol after a day's diving...," IMHO a mixture containing 50% rubbing alcohol may be overkill as it appears to be the pH alteration from the vinegar rather than the drying effect of the alcohol that is doing the most good. I'd go with a 1/3 mixture of distilled vinegar, distilled water and isopropyl alcohol, made fresh.

Regards,

DocVikingo

A doctor I dove with in Costa Rica perscribed 50/50 White Vinegar and Warm Water. Said its a great treatment on the go and rivals his perscriptions. I had a bad clog/ache that was gone very quickly after trying this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom