Can you ID this Mediterranean blenny?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaynor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This blenny has been found it in a couple of sites in 1 to 8 meters whilst carrying out fish surveys with Kennaecodiving in the Med. It is about 10 cm long with small paired tentacles over the eyes and lives in a hole in the rocks, popping out to feed.

It is black apart from a spot on the dorsal fin just behind the neck which it seems to be able to flash – like an eye – when disturbed. The spot becomes bright (peacock) turquoise but otherwise fades into a dark colour. There may also be some blue colouring under the chin.

To see photos follow this link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2887&l=16387&id=591216495

Thanks

I'm no expert on Med blennies, but it sure looks like a Highfin Blenny (Atrosalarias fuscus).[SIZE=-1] The Highfin Blenny is also known as the Dusky Blenny, Brown Coral Blenny, Black Blenny, Black Sailfin Blenny, or Brown Combtooth Blenny.[/SIZE]
Rick

Thanks Rick. The size and shape look about right and your link says that it appears in different colours. It doesn't mention the fin spot - which when you can see it is very distinctive. Also it's not supposed to be in the Med, although other species have migrated from the Red Sea. I'll certainly follow this up and try to find more pictures of it.
Gaynor

I've finally identified the blenny as Parablennius marmoreus - Seaweed blenny, although a couple of the photos labeled as this blenny on Fishbase seem to be of Parablennius rouxi and Parablennius pilicornis golden variety. According to Fishbase it’s not supposed to be living in the Mediterranean.

I found two living in the same small rock. The colouration is different but the distinguishing markings are the same. The dark variety definitely seems to be able to turn the blue spot on and off. In fact they were both changing colour quite considerably during the half hour that I was photographing them. The shyer one even plucked up the courage to come out and nibble my fingers!

Attachments

• unidentified blenny 12 comp.JPG
    unidentified blenny 12 comp.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Unidentified blenny 17 comp.JPG
    Unidentified blenny 17 comp.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Unidentified blenny 20 comp.JPG
    Unidentified blenny 20 comp.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 81
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back