Just got accepted as a cadet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got a call today from our training director saying we didnt get "cleared" to use the pool at the coast guard base. o well. atleast i could go to my other classes.

2nd training day last night:

We start off by swimming 4 warm up laps.
1st Drill, we get all of our freediving stuff on, and swim laps across the deepend of the pool. On the way over, we do a pike dive and drop either our mask or our weightbelt gently on the bottom, then do an ascent and swim accross to the other side. on the way bay, we have to dive down and put on our piece of equipment that we dropped the earlier dive. IMO, the mask and snorkel was a lot harder to retrieve and put on and clear than the weightbelt. We did that 15 minutes before going on to the next drill.

2nd Drill, we swim 25 yards to our equipment and have 5 minutes to get everything on that we dont already have;BCD,REGS,Tanks...none of it is connected.

3rd drill,
We do ditch and dons and the same drill that we did at the 1st session, where we start out of the pool and jump in with everything off including the air and put all of our stuff back on.

4th drill,
We get all of our stuff on and put on our blacked out masks for the first time. we start with our backs to the wall on the shallow side of the pool, and we try to swim across the pool in the straightest line possible. the first guy did it great and was on the line the whole way. I was not so lucky and learned that i had a strong right leg.

We were running a little late, and at 9 we got kicked out of the pool by a cute coast guard girl. I think from now on its all going to be diving with a black mask.

okay...I'm hooked. What happened next?
sorry i haven't introduced, I'm still just observing.

It wasnt an official training day, but we had our monthly team meeting. I've been to a few, and this was one of the few with actual training in it. After covering all of the official stuff about last months training, the academy, and what classes are being offered, we took a 5 minute class of the new radios that we got, as well as some knot tying stuff.

We were practicing tying knots on the stokes baskets. A lot of this stuff was just "recertifying" people on the team, but everything was new to me. We have another training night tomorrow

3rd training day last night.

We continued to do some of the same "warm up" drills that we have done the last 3 weeks...100 yard swim, then remove and retrieve your mask and weightbelt drills, then more ditch and don. our instructor talked about the history of the team and how a lot has changed in the last two years. We talked about circle drills and line tenders.

We were running a little bit late last night due to a lot more talking and not a lot of diving. we had about an hour of actual dive time doing ditch and dons, as well as basic circle drills.

In the beginning we started with 6 people and only 4 people showed up last night...down from the 5 from last week.

no cadet training next week due to team training

You need to leave the dark side and come to the good side "FD" LOL Good Job! Have fun and enjoy. Gary M "The Fire Guy"

The dark side is a helluva lot easier to get into than the good side. The dark side is only voluntary. I got a job on an amublance as well as on a type 2 hand crew...so im on both sides

damn, well we lost over a months worth of posts, but last wednesday we were told that we only had a couple more weeks to go. We did more pattern searches, then we did some out of air emergency drills. I forget what else we did because of the long time that SB was down, but its been a fun experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom