Catalina is on fire!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also praying for Bill and the rest of the folks on the island. Horrible news. Please keep us posted. It made the front page of CNN.com this morning. That's when I first heard.

Dr. Bill, be sure to check in as soon as you have web access...
Lots of folks here concerned about your well being....
Thanks...

Of all times not to own a cell phone :( The news is nutting me out. They barely said a word about the island but I got full details on Paris Hilton :shakehead Will go look at the on-line news now.

Missdirected:
Of all times not to own a cell phone :( The news is nutting me out. They barely said a word about the island but I got full details on Paris Hilton :shakehead Will go look at the on-line news now.

Another win for New Media!

Catalina fire update as of 7:45 this morning (Friday May 11, 2007) on NBC 4 website: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/13296545/detail.html?dl=mainclick.

I hear that thus far, the fire destroyed a couple of commercial buildings and one home on the outskirt of Avalon. No report of civilian injuries, but one fire fighter had smoke inhalation problem.

Dr. Bill sent out a mass e-mail (content of which is quoted in post #14) yesterday afternoon. Several concerned people/divers have called his home but no answer; apparently he has already evacuated.

A news segment on a local radio station this morning voiced concerns about the potential impact on wildlife on the island. Apparently buffalo and other wildlife may be fenced in, and it's not clear whether or not there's an escape opening in the fence in case they need it.

Praying for all the residents of Catalina, human and animal. Dr. Bill, I hope you were able to take your important items (dive gear can be replaced!) and that the fire does not touch your residence. Keep us posted!

Jennifer

I just missed a call from Dr. Bill a few minutes ago but he said in his voice message that he just arrived back at his home in Avalon after spending the night at a friend’s who is down closer to the water.

He sounded tired and relieved. I bet we will hear from him when he has a chance to catch his breath – if they have electricity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom