two Americans heading to Dubai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian T:
Yeah, that's what I've heard about the Gulf side...the drive is just too long though...and too many borders and you have to go through Dubai or Sharjah or Ras al Khaimah coming from Oman...

I used to live and work in Dubai and Man!, I don't need the stress anymore...(c8 There's a huge difference between visiting the Emirates and living there...
and yes, I'm very biased...

Ian,

How bad is it getting through the border from UAE and Oman? I was hoping to spend a little time in Oman when I'm over there.

Thx,
Dwight

it's very easy - that's what i said. if you travel by rental car, you have to leave the car for getting your passport stamped (exit dubai, entry oman) but that dosen't take long. if you have arranged transport, you don't even have to leave the car.

there are no borders inside the emirates (dubai, abu dabi, sharjah or ras al khaiman) thats why they are named "united".

having the time you really should visit oman. it is completely different to uae.

instead about 1,5 hours to fujairah it will take you 2,5 to 3 hours to khasab. but senery and diving is well worth it

Well, maybe not so easy...there is a proposal at the moment that Omani rental cars will be banned in the Emirates and if that happens then Emirati rental cars will not be allowed across the border which means that you would have to go by bus or go to the Dnata building where the Omani taxis are..
However nothing is decided yet - keep an eye on Gulfnews.com (i think, otherwise google it)

Swisstrav - it's not quite correct to say that it is easy - it all depends on nationality. Some have to pay x dirham for a visa, some have to pay xx, some don't pay and others cannot enter at all, some need an invitation from an Emirati to enter and others need a pre-arranged visa. For Americans (I assume that roadkils and gajeep are) it should be fairly easy. (others will have to check with embassies or state departments - it changes quickly)...

Again if you go to Dibba (part of Oman on the east coast) you don't cross any borders. If you go to Oman proper (ie not Musandam), you'll cross a border and get a 2-3 week visa on arrival...

Border crossing usually don't take that long - depends on if you happen to arrive at the same time as the 10 dubai-muscat coaches are there or not...

Thx Ian,

I will ensure I have the proper paperwork if we decide to visit Oman. My buddy lives in DXB so we will be traveling in a personal car.

Thx for the info.

Dwight

ian t

no big argument. i have assumed that our two frinds are us-citizen and that they get free visa upon arrivel. of coarse, if visas are required it is much more complicated.

latest developments re. car rental and entering oman are new for me. i have done it myself in 2006. additional insurance and a deposit by credit card were required. since they travel with private car different rules apply. again here, i assume entering oman from uae and not vv.

pls note, for entering dibba you do not need any visa nor are there check-points. going for a musandam tripp out of dibba, the operator has to forward indevidual names and passport-nbrs. thats it.

swiss...and I don't want to argue either...(c8

roadkils...I would definitely recommend a visit to Oman...very different from the Emirates (better - I would say, but then I'll be lynched so I'll just think it...)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom