Who has had something stolen in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from our 13th visit to Bonaire and no problems.

We just returned from Bonaire. We were VERY careful not to expose ourselves to theft, but got taken anyway. Our spare tire was stolen while shore diving. Ended up costing us around $240.00 US. (Conveniently just below the $300 insurance deductible.) Searching the threads I now see that this happens with suspicious regularity.

The whole thing ruined an otherwise pleasant trip. I may fight it, I may just never return. I haven't decided yet.

I've been all over the Caribbean with no problems, until Bonaire, where I was more careful than ever before.

1 trip ... 1 theft ... not a good percentage so far.

gadget26:
. Ended up costing us around $240.00 US. (Conveniently just below the $300 insurance deductible.) Searching the threads I now see that this happens with suspicious regularity..

So the theft we were worried about is institutionalized. Same thing happened to me, years ago.

So... who was the rental car company that ripped themselves off?

We just spent a week there and were very dissapointed. I had brought an assortment of expendable T-shirts, shorts, sandals and hats and had to bring them all home.

I did not hear of any incidents in the paths we crossed.

Pete

Been to Bonaire twice, no incidents whatsoever...

NDH:
We are heading to Bonaire in 2007. I was just curious on how many people have had
something taken from them in Bonaire.

If you don't mind let us know where it was taken from and what was taken.

This is not to point fingers at anyone, its just to give insight to future travelers.

Was there in April and had a buddy lose a UK Light Cannon. Was in the wash basin at 6:30 am and gone by 8:00 am. Like to think it was a mistake but never got it back soooooooooooooooooooooo.

gadget26:
We just returned from Bonaire. We were VERY careful not to expose ourselves to theft, but got taken anyway. Our spare tire was stolen while shore diving. Ended up costing us around $240.00 US. (Conveniently just below the $300 insurance deductible.) Searching the threads I now see that this happens with suspicious regularity.

The whole thing ruined an otherwise pleasant trip. I may fight it, I may just never return. I haven't decided yet.

I've been all over the Caribbean with no problems, until Bonaire, where I was more careful than ever before.

1 trip ... 1 theft ... not a good percentage so far.

Which site/where were you diving when this was taken?

The rental company is Budget. I'm watching my credit card. The charges from them keep mounting up. I have no idea what they are doing or charging for now. This is going to be a long battle.

I reviewed my land pictures. The site was most likely "Vista Blue" way down south. Other possibilities are the town pier parking or hotel parking lot.

I posted the incident to the bonairetalk.com board. The moderator there removed my post, saying that posts about crime were not allowed without first submitting a police report. Since I discovered the loss while checking in the car just before my flight out, getting a police report would have been a bit problematic. Someone suggested that renters should take a chain and lock to lock up the spare...but I have also heard of main tires and batteries being taken from vehicles so I don't know how much help that would be.

I find the attitude and treatment I have received by Bonarians after the crime much more offensive than the deed itself. They just don't get it.

I'll not be going back. Fool me one, shame on you. Fool me twice...ain't gonna happen.

Jeff

Jeff,

So sorry to hear about the theft that happened to you on Bonaire. We just got back from a week and half of diving and didn't have any problems. We spoke with a Dutch diver whose truck was broken into during a night dive last yr, and some items were stolen, but we didn't inquire further.

Take care, alashas
http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom