Getting Air in Western MD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garfish,

I think we did meet. I was looking at a Sherwood Luna for my girlfriend, we picked it up and she love's it. Greg is a great guy, he gave me a really good deal on all my gear. I have gotten just about everything with the exception of my BC from him. He sold me my air tanks for really cheap since he knew how far I would be traveling for air.

I think you and I spoke about diving in the St. Lawrence river when you were at Greg's shop? Anyhow I have thrown around the idea of buying a small, portable breathable air compresser for in my garage in doing my own fills, though it's a bit more then I would like to spend.

If you are ever interested in diving Deep Creek Lake let me know. We are having great viz this time of year, although it's a bit chilly.

aquaman_06:
If you are ever interested in diving Deep Creek Lake let me know. We are having great viz this time of year, although it's a bit chilly.

Aquaman,

Tell me about Deep Creek Lake. I've been camping there but that was before my diving days. What part of the lake do you dive? Depth? Anything down there? Ladydog and I would be very interested in checking it out.

Mountain Dog

Mountain,

The depth is kinda the downside at the lake, depending on what kind of diver you are. The maximum depth can be found at the dam and is about 65 feet (give or take). I have not myself dove the dam but have been told that it stays somewhat warmer then the rest of the lake, because of the underwater pumps that are running there. I have also heard the the dam area's visibility levels are low.

We have a boat and dive a variety of locations of the lake. Early winter (Oct-Nov) yields about 15 maybe 20 feet of viz and I am seeing that same amount now. There is lots to see, native plant life, sunken junk (even some snowmobiles) and a rumored school house that I have never found. There are also lots of fish, far more in variety then in some other small lakes.

The downside to deep creek is boat traffic. During full summer season (may 31st-mid september) I would rate the lake as undivable. The mouron tourists that come up here rent boats, have no idea how to drive them, and no doubt couldnt tell a dive flag from a duck. There is so much traffic, that unless you stayed in a shallow water cove, I cant see diving the lake in summer season.

Sadly, if you want to dive your going to have to deal with low water temps since once it warms up the boaters are our. Right now the water temp is about 50-55 at the surface. Average depth on the lake would be 23-35 feet, with 40 being considered deeper.

let me know if your ever interested in checking out

Thanks Aquaman,

Yes, I remember the boat traffic on Deep Creek. Shame. Maybe next fall I'll look you up to give it a go.

Mountain Dog

Hi aquaman:

Sorry i havn't been on the scuba board sooner for this is the first chance of seeing your post.

Yes, i thought so much and we did speak about fla. springs & diving the st.lawerence.

I also remember that your girlfriend was looking for a wetsuit & or other gear.

Gregg , like i say it's hard to beat his prices & he and his wife are great people.

As for diving sometime yes, i would like to . Hope to connect with you some time.

Thanks again.

Yeah Greg is a great guy. Hopefully we will get to dive together sometime. My girl friend and I dove deep creek lake today. The cold compiled with poor visibility and boat traffic made it pretty sour, I think we will head to Mt. Storm before hitting Deep Creek again.

aquaman_06:
Yeah Greg is a great guy. Hopefully we will get to dive together sometime. My girl friend and I dove deep creek lake today. The cold compiled with poor visibility and boat traffic made it pretty sour, I think we will head to Mt. Storm before hitting Deep Creek again.

Hi aquaman:

yea, i always heard that Deep Creek lake is a cold place to dive. Sorry to hear about your cold sour dive their.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine was down their recently at mt. storm lake & he said that then the water was in the mid 50 de. f & the vis was bad.

I havn't been diving lately but going to see if some of my friends are going down maybe Memorial day weekend. If so i'll send you a e-mail.

safe diving.....

I was at Storm on the week before last- 63 degrees, vis at 27' maybe 7-10, vis at 53' less than 3'. Probably going this Sunday to help with students- that means vis negative 5'.
-Jay

Hi Jay:

Thanks for the info about the water temp & vis at mt. storm.
This is good news and greatly appreciated.

It would be nice if the vis was alot better though.
It seems like over the past few years vis has been going from good to bad.
I can't figure it out.

anyway have a good time at mt. storm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom