Good place to go a quick dive in Hunting Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrRoo

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My dad has a 35' fishing boat docked at Huntington Harbor and we were going to take it out Sunday to do a test dive of stuff we will need and all that fun stuff. Is there anywhere near Huntington harbor where we could just drop anchor and do a quick dive and scope things out? We will be taking it to Catalina the following weekend so would like to have no surprises and get it all figured out now. Thanks!

I say we find some cavern that runs under a bank, and get rich Italian Job Style!

Given the entrance to the harbor is also the exit of a river and next to the San Gabriel River exit and there for the water will be very silty, I would suggest the the seaward side of Long Beach Break Wall 33.43.20.13N 118.09.15.91W. I have had a few very nice dives here, in days past off my friends sail boat. Other than that you have a rather longish trip down to Laguna Beach.

How about anchoring off of Crystal Cove? Between Newport and Laguna. I hear they have some really nice rock reefs out there but I'm too old and feeble (lazy) to haul my bony butt and 60 lbs of crap up and down the stairs there.

Both great sugestions. How about we just bring both our tanks Mike and check out both :)

The shore arond Huntington and Seal Beach is flat and sandy. Not very good diving. Your best bet is either the rock reefs off of Laguna Beach or the breakewater in front of Long Beach/Port of L.A. Carona Dell Mar is also an OK dive, but I don't think you can anchor close enough to the beach to swim in.

there are a lot of nice dive sites that are much easier to get to by boat than shore,christmas tree cove is a perfect example,I even do old marineland by boat. buy a frankos map it will give a pretty good idea of locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom