Bonaire vs. Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bplloyd

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We have been diving in Bonaire several times over the last few years, and while we love the diving, we are considering a new location - Cayman Brac. Can anyone out there give a quick comparison/contrast between the two locations? Thanks.

Bill

Hi bplloyd,

Returned last week from first time diving on Bonaire, and dove off Grand & Little Cayman in Jan. Bon shore diving rocks, but the visibility was quite a bit better at da Caymans.

BTW, my bro in Huntsville, AL, dove with me in Bon, but not LC. PM me if you want to contact him directly...

Cheers, alashas
http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Been to both multiple times.

Bonaire:

Easier/more shore diving
More petty crime issues
More restaurants & food variety
More roosters waking you up at 4:30am
Purple tube sponges
Fewer pelagics

Cayman Brac:

Better walls
Better viz (on a good day)
Virtually no crime
Quiet - easier to relax
Virtually no traffic
No longer easy to get free tanks for shore dives
No frogfish or seahorses

Both:

Are expensive to get to.
Can have lousy airline connections to get to.

-hh

Hi,

I would like to comment on a few things:

1) Cayman Brac DOES have Sea Horses in a rainbow of colors!!! No frogfish though, sorry!

2) As with most smaller Caribbean islands, air travel does tend to be an issue. However, Cayman Airways flies a 737 jet to the Brac Thursdays thru Sundays that arrives no later than 6:30pm, just in time for dinner!! Give our reservation office a call for more information and assistance with flights. We are also the largest wholesaler for Cayman Airways so we can usually get you a good price. 1-800-594-0843

3) Cayman Brac is going to be one of the least-dived, yet most spectacular islands in the Caribbean, arguably the world. Little Cayman sees more divers in a more concentrated area around Bloody Bay wall. Cayman Brac offers 120-140 dive sites at any one time. The Cayman Islands Dept. of Environment (DOE) monitors and regulates how many people are diving on any one site and will pull and change moorings when a site is dived a certain number of times. Again, are reefs are NOT beat up. If you want beat reefs, go see the reefs around 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman.

I have dove Brac by liveaboard only and think Bonaire is heads and shoulders above it!

Cayman Brac: Boat Diving Only, 3 per day
Bonaire: Dive, Dive and Dive Some more. Unlimited Shore diving

I was at Cayman Brac last year. While the diving was good, I like to do 5 a day if possible. It just wasn't there. Bonaire, I can easily do 5 hour long dives a day on different and varied sites. Also your usually the only one on the site rather than a boat drop of 16.

Bonaire in 5 days!!!!!!!!

bplloyd:
We have been diving in Bonaire several times over the last few years, and while we love the diving, we are considering a new location - Cayman Brac. Can anyone out there give a quick comparison/contrast between the two locations? Thanks. Bill

Bonaire: Wonderful dive spot that you have been to several times

Cayman Brac: Wonderful dive spot that you have never been to

I think that about corks it. Go. Explore. Broaden your base of experience. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom