Dirtiest water you dove in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Mine has to be a drainage ditch in Hawaii. I saw alot of hammerheads and fish in it, so I snorkeled down to see what was down there. Some bright pretty red corals were growing (it was close to the ocean, and was brackish). A few days later, I realized that all the street sewer emptied in the same place. Yuk. Fortunately, I didn't get sick.

I've heard of folks who work for the sanitation department with worse exposure.

Little Lake in Peterborough. Full of goose, loon, and duck crap. Along with what they say was an old meat packaging plant that drained into the lake many years ago. Every year there is a clean up dive around Earth Day. A couple years ago we pulled up a hydro transformer, leaking of course. Vis on a good day is 2 feet. More like a hazmat dive than anything.

Monterey Breakwall. I placed my hand one inch in front of my mask and could barely make out a green outline. I estimated vis that day of less than one inch. After I got out there were several OW classes getting ready to go in. I wonder how many students returned to diving after that.

Twin Quarries, Circleville, Ohio where I did my OW. About 3 foot visibility.

A marina fire at Colonial Beach VA. Approximately 80 large boats burnt up. Local FD ran oil boom around marina. Kept pollutants out of the river, but held them in where we were diving. Several inches of ashes, hydraulic fluid, battery acid, oil, gas, diesel, holding tanks and God knows what else was in the mix. We had to conduct an underwater criminal investigation at the marina. We recovered a battery charger from a sunken boat that had started the fire, as I recall. Many millions of dollars in damages I believe. It was a nasty dive and a lot of our equipment could not be decontaminated as the stuff we were in was really bad. Any latex rubber, even after decon became the consistency of newspaper the next day. It was a good opportunity to buy new gear.

a lot of our equipment could not be decontaminated as the stuff we were in was really bad. Any latex rubber, even after decon became the consistency of newspaper the next day. It was a good opportunity to buy new gear.

Is that what happened to my seals????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom