L.A.: Pool access for doubles practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have my doubles all put together (Al.80's... it's a start. I'll double my HP100s later, once I get a feel for them with the 80s and get a better wing than my RecWing.) but I have yet to get them wet, as I need a pool to safely submerge and get a feel for them, learn valve drills, etc., before I risk taking them into the ocean.

Does anyone know of any pools that are both suitable and available for this in the LA (pref. SFV) area? Anyone available to give me some pointers? :eyebrow:

Hollywood Divers uses the community pool off the Tampa exit of the 101 on one or two Sunday mornings every month. I plan on getting with them when my insane travel schedule cools down. The Altadena LA County pool is being rebuilt, and I hope to be able to create an opportunity there. I can get the USC pool sometimes -but not easily, and they charge for me for access. The Rose Bowl pool doesn't permit divers because they don't want broken tiles.

When I get back from europe I'll take a look at what you've found out.

The OC group has a better option thanks to Milo.

Jim

Last time I took a class with Hollywoodivers (Rescue), they used the pool at Reseda high school (if I recall correctly), over on Tampa. It was a great pool, but not exactly a community pool, unless I'm mistaken... and while I'm good friends with the crew over there, I'm not sure how much they want me showing up randomly at a pool they're trying to teach classes in and doing my own thing (liability may be an issue even).

If you know otherwise, however, I'll have to talk to them! (do you know otherwise?)

I should point out, I suppose, that my parents do have a pool, but it's fairly small and only 8' deep at the deepest point of the fairly rounded bottom, so I don't really consider it suitable to the task.

Its the Reseda pool and you should definitely talk with HD before showing up. When it works there it works well and the HD people have been very helpful to me.

Reseda is about 12 ft. (if I remember correctly) and the USC pool is 17 ft. - a good depth for practicing air shares and controlled ascents. 12 ft. is great for most things.

I don't like little 8 ft. pools with rounded bottoms. You need to get two divers face to face for a valve drill.

Jim

Kalani,
I know you asked about pools in LA area but...

We(the OC DIR guys) do a weekly DIR drill session in the pool at the Cypress store.
Give me a call if your interested.
(714) 527-1500

Milo

Thanks, Milo. :) I actually need to talk to you about a some other stuff also, so I'll give you a call and see if the drills happen on weekends (when I may be able to make it) or not...

But local would be far more convenient, if anyone else has thoughts.

Jim: No, I would never just show up to the pool without checking with them first. Great guys and I'm friends with most so I wouldn't want to put them in the position of kicking me out if it wasn't allowed, so I would always check. That pool would definitely my first choice if it was available, though!

CompuDude:
Does anyone know of any pools that are both suitable and available for this in the LA (pref. SFV) area? Anyone available to give me some pointers? :eyebrow:
I'd be happy to give a few pointers.
If you decide to come to Cypress, arrive a few hours early and we'll discuss the 9 possibe failures, then walk you through the valve drill on land a few times, and finally take it to the pool.

Chris

I wish I could, but Milo told me those are on Tuesdays starting around 7:30. I work in Woodland Hills until 6pm, sometimes 7, if I tried to make that drive at that time I MIGHT make it there in time to see you leave!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom