Is quick release important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Bent cant always be fixed and also isn't always survivable.
It's really simple.

Bent can't always be fixed. true. But many times, it can... arguably, most of the time it can. AGE is simply avoided by keeping the airway open, as has been mentioned, so bringing that up over and over does nothing. And regardless, AGE has more chance of being fixed on the surface where you have access to doctors than at depth.

Drowning can NEVER be fixed. Period, end of discussion.

I'll take my chances wearing some ditchable weight, thankyouverymuch. And yes, I use a good SS weight belt buckle... and I'm considering adding a second.

Deco diving is a different situation from the vast majority of recreational diving, and can be treated separately.

Thalassamania:
There is no consensus because (and please excuse my singling you out) folks continue to maintain things that are patently untrue such as: “Uncontrolled ascents will kill you just as dead as drowning.”

How long have you been diving? And who are you an instructor for? Cause I'd like to see that in print from your organization. LOL

Thalassamania:
Clearly you've never tried it. I can drop a 35 lb weight belt in 60 feet of water, flare out and exhale to the surface at a rate of slightly more than 70FPM.

Have you ever had to do this?

And, do you think a new diver who has overweighted themselves and need to drop that belt are going to be able to do this?

Hey, sell them a spare air and they'll be saved.:popcorn:

Mverick:
How long have you been diving? And who are you an instructor for? Cause I'd like to see that in print from your organization. LOL
About 50 years. I am an instructor for my friends, my collegues and the rich and famous, I don't need no stinkin' organmization, I'm organized enough.

Mverick:
Have you ever had to do this?
Several dozen times every class from 20 feet.

Mverick:
And, do you think a new diver who has overweighted themselves and need to drop that belt are going to be able to do this?
Don't know about an overweighted student, never had one. But every student has done this several dozen times every class from 20 feet and at least once in o/w from 30.
Mverick:
Hey, sell them a spare air and they'll be saved.:popcorn:
AMHTIB

Thalassamania:
About 50 years. I am an instructor for my friends, my collegues and the rich and famous, I don't need no stinkin' organmization, I'm organized enough.

Several dozen times every class from 20 feet.

Don't know about an overweighted student, never had one. But every student has done this several dozen times every class from 20 feet and at least once in o/w from 30.
AMHTIB

No organization means no C-card. Which means no boat dives with others.

Several dozen times from 20 feet? You can't swim up from 20 feet?

I said a new diver. Your "Student" should have his weight checked by you or a DM before entering the water. Now, get that student on his next dive in warm water when he learned in cold water and what is his weight going to be? Probably not right.

Part of your instruction is teachin them to dump there weight belt several dozen times during a class. I don't think so. Several is more the 2 so even at 3 they dump there weight belt a minimum of 36 times in your class.

Your answers aren't adding up.

victor:
Taliesin58
You might like to try an experiment next time your in shallow water.
I have had to do this for real at about 60ft.

My tank came loose, yes my fault I did not wet the cam band and it streached when it got wet.
No big deal, empty all air out of BC, remove BC, swim around behind it, rearange tank and tighten band, put gear back on and away we go.

With your configuration you are going to have grave difficulty staying with your gear. As you say without your BC you bob like a cork.

If it was me I would weight my tank so it was neutral or slightly negative and me with my weight belt slightly positive.

Bravo! I'm big, too (6'5", 245... and dive thick neoprene wet in cold Atlantic water. I hope to never have need to ditch and don, but would like to stay within reasonable floating distance of my stuff if I do! (New York and Nw England beach and shallow water diving is a monofiliment jungle in places.) I stopped using the integrated pockets as ballast and just keep abut 8 lbs in them. This should give me enough of a weight shift to swim up even when the 6.5 mil John/Jacket is compressed. The other weight is on a belt with suspenders. Three buckles... waist, chest-left and chest right. I hope I never dump my poor little weight belt, but I'll guarantee you my buddy knows where the releases are! As you can see by this discussion, the right answer really depends on the diver, the dive, the the gear.

Mverick:
That’s what you think. There’s never been need for a certificate beyond the detailed training record book that each receives, except when working at European Universities where the workplace safety stuff has required me to write an additional letter and them to get a CMAS Scientific Diver Brevet.

Mverick:
That’s not what I said, I stated that: “Clearly you've never tried it. I can drop a 35 lb weight belt in 60 feet of water, flare out and exhale to the surface at a rate of slightly more than 70FPM.” You asked “Have you ever had to do this?” And forgiving your incredible rudeness considering that I just stated that I had in point of fact done that and told you what the resultant ascent rate was, I added that I do it (remember what it is?) “Several dozen times every class (I should have said course rather than class so as to be completely clear) from 20 feet.” This is, in point of fact, the case. It’s part of the training and I use a full gear, doff and don, with a buoyant ascent in the middle as part of my normal kata.
Mverick:
And, do you think a new diver who has overweighted themselves and need to drop that belt are going to be able to do this?”
And I answered: “Don't know about an overweighted student, never had one.” And I can say the same about a new diver: “Don't know about an overweighted new diver, never had one.” I added that “… every student has done this several dozen times every class from 20 feet and at least once in o/w from 30.” This is part of their training.

My students and divers do not need to have their weight checked by my or by a DM before entering the water. Perhaps yours do, but please don’t project the awkwardness and incompetence that you’re used to onto programs that you know nothing about.
Mverick:
“Now, get that student on his next dive in warm water when he learned in cold water and what is his weight going to be?
Probably not right.” Once again, please don’t project the awkwardness and incompetence that you’re used to onto programs that you know nothing about.

Mverick:
Part of your instruction is teachin them to dump there weight belt several dozen times during a class. I don't think so.
Frankly, it appears that you do no think, “so” nor “not so.”
Mverick:
Several is more the 2 so even at 3 they dump there weight belt a minimum of 36 times in your class. .
Between the free diving doff and don and the scuba doff and don 36 is likely a low estimate. We have 14 pool session and typically 12 available practice sessions that most student attend so thats 26 pool “adventures” and I’m sure they do at least two doff and dons per session … that’s 48 right there without even getting to open water.

Mverick:
They add up, you just have no idea of what your talking about.

Mverick:

I said a new diver. Your "Student" should have his weight checked by you or a DM before entering the water. Now, get that student on his next dive in warm water when he learned in cold water and what is his weight going to be? Probably not right.

Part of your instruction is teachin them to dump there weight belt several dozen times during a class. I don't think so. Several is more the 2 so even at 3 they dump there weight belt a minimum of 36 times in your class.

For someone who has been on SB since 2001, you suck at reading.

Check Thalassamania's profile before questioning his credentials. It's all there, in black and white. He's got more credentials than you can hope for in the next 10 years.

And the breadth and quality of his posts here on SB back that up.

The AAUS Research Diver class that I assist with every year also requres the students to be able to do just what Thalassamania describes.

Yes it is a little beyond what a "basic" SCUBA course would include, but it is an emergency procedure. It is also done with a simulated unconcious diver from 20 FSW by dropping the casulties weight belt and riding up with them in a spread eagle fasion.

I am sure that in the Rescue Diver course that most of you have been through, none of you had to single handedly pull a diver into a small (like 15') boat to effect a rescue after bringing them up from the the bottom.

ZoCrowes255:
Once again there is a reason in BASIC OPENWATER CLASSES we stress the importance of maintaining positive buoyancy at the surface. It's not a rare circumstance! In 4 years of professional diving most of the rescues I have had to perform have been at the surface. Almost all of them have been complete strangers who tried to use me as a life raft at the surface because they could not maintain positive buoyancy. Thankfully in four years working in the industry this has only happened a handful of times.

In your profile you claim to be DIR yet you are dismissing circumstances that can lead to the most common type of diving accident in openwater diving ; a panicked diver at the surface. I have a few buddies who are DIR (GUE trained) and they use common sense as well as what they learned in ALL their training. Those guys are great divers and I'll dive with them anytime.

There is nothing worse than an arrogant new diver. I hope I never have to dive with you or have you on one of my diveboats. You can play tech diver all you want it does not mean you know what you are doing.

Try to be more hostile? I've got nothing to prove to you, you're a nobody on the internet. I'll dive what is right for me, and you can keep the insults and assumptions to yourself. Don't worry about diving with me, since I will obviously kill you with my incompetence. I don't dive instabuddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom