Diving Friday and Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwlee:
More like remnants of wrecks. I've never personally dived those sites, but I understand that what's left are bits and pieces, like an anchor, some brass hardware, etc. strewn in the general area. Those ships got dashed against the rocks and then were pounded by heavy surf for decades.

These areas get direct surf, so are diveable only in the calmest of days, which is pretty rare.

yep that's typical of CA wrecks. Most of ours happened from the North South trade in the fog. So we have very few intact wrecks. Some around Honda Pt, the Humble SM-1 and Triple Crown in So Cal. So if you are looking for complete ships, the CA coast is not the place.

But, a wreck is a wreck, so I I can get in, I'll go take a look. I'm not optomistic though. At least I'm right there so I won't be driving out of my way to decide I'm not going in.

Jerry

jerryn:
But, a wreck is a wreck, so I I can get in, I'll go take a look. I'm not optomistic though. At least I'm right there so I won't be driving out of my way to decide I'm not going in.

If you are interested in wrecks, we have some passable ones:

"The Barge", 100' wood ship in 63' off the Breakwater. It can be done from the beach but is a really long kick. .
"The Sailboat", 35ish foot ferroconcrete sailboat in 25' off DelMonte Beach.
Three Amphtracks (WW II amphibious armored personnel carriers) one in 25' off Del
Monte Beach (very close to the Sailboat), and two in 80' off Lovers Pt.

The Del Monte wrecks are very doable from the beach.

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/gps.html

Hmmm, maybe you should show me these wrecks in person Chuck...

Okay time for the dive report.

We got in Thursday night. Spanish Bay Resort is pretty nice. This trophy husband think ain't so bad.

Friday morning went out to Moss Beach. It looked marginal. walked in w/o tanks. Still looked marginal but I thought I could get in to the S of the parking lot. Put some fins on and tried it and decided it was a go. Entry was not too bad. Kicked out and dropped down. It was a total washing machine w/ no vis. I felt my fin come off and fortunately grabbed it. Had lots of fun tring to put it back on while being tossed, then swam out to the rocks. vis opened up to an amazing 5'. The reef was actually quite nice. 50 degree water. But after all the work of getting in and getting going I only had 38 minutes, and the churn around Pt. Joe was probably too much to hope to find the wreck. Was able to get out without being trashed...so all in all a good dive.

Saturday. Went on the Monterey Express w/ Capt. Tim. First dive was on the Pinnacles. Some people had 46 degrees, I had 48. From the feel of it 46 was probably right. But the Pinnacles were spectacular. The purple hydrocoral against the sponges were great. 43 minutes 91 ft max depth 31% + frozen fingers.

Second dive was on Lingcod Reef. a warmer 48 degrees (my computer read the same on both dives, but the second was clearly warmer). Heavy surge but very nice dive. Swam up one sand channel and back down the next.

You have some great diving --- but next time would someone not forget to turn the heater on.

Thanks for the help on the board here.

Jerry

I'm glad you got in a couple of good dives. Luckily, my GF says it is too cold to dive right now, so I don't have to be the one to wimp out!

Gary

jerryn:
Saturday. Went on the Monterey Express w/ Capt. Tim. First dive was on the Pinnacles. Some people had 46 degrees, I had 48. From the feel of it 46 was probably right. But the Pinnacles were spectacular. The purple hydrocoral against the sponges were great. 43 minutes 91 ft max depth 31% + frozen fingers.

Second dive was on Lingcod Reef. a warmer 48 degrees (my computer read the same on both dives, but the second was clearly warmer). Heavy surge but very nice dive. Swam up one sand channel and back down the next.

You have some great diving --- but next time would someone not forget to turn the heater on.

Jerry

I was on the Beach Hopper 2 going to Pt. Lobos. Vis was very nice especially saw alot of fishes that were very comfortable with me swimming with them and also finally saw the kelp forest growing back although not many but its growing and that concluded my 50th logged dive so now its on to making my 75th dive.

Roy,

Congrats on No. 50. The kelp on Lingcod Reef looked really healthy. I think the upwelling and surge is doing its job. Did you have heavy surge where you went? Water clarity was pretty awesome. We had ambient light showing off the blues, reds, yellows and purples down to 75 feet.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom