vaccinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

missbeluga:
Best way I think is to contact the divecenters or locals prior your trip - while you book it. Mostly the diver - resorts have allready that kind of info on their websites

There is no way I would trust some locals to tell me what immunizations I should get. Just my personal technique, I'm not saying you're wrong. But, I think I would rely upon the Centers for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/ backed by some semblance of science and not the local dive shop or resort to determine what diseases I should be concerned with.

If "Joe Blow Dive Resort and Hotel" disagree with the CDC on what kind of weird diseases exist in their country and says immunizations are not needed....and someone gets Hep A or Hep B......who are you gonna blame? Remember, it's just a technique.

The only ones I always keep up to date are Yellow Fever and Tetanus.
The others are destination specific.

Garrobo:
I've travelled around quite a bit in the past mainly in Central America and sub-Saharan Africa. I would advise anyone travelling in these areas to take anti-malarial drugs, a yellow fever and tetanus shot and a butt full of gammgobulin (not sure of the spelling on that one). If you are going to be around any animals I'd advise rabies also. If you are the horny type who either just can't wait or have a tedency to forget things while drinking you should carry condoms at all times and try to rememer to use them. Most third and fourth world countries have anywhere from 40-80% HIV rates. A good example is the Bay Islands (Roatan).

Gammaglobulin (pronounced if not spelled that way) is for Hep-A and is not needed with the vaccine. However the vaccine takes some time to become effective.

No country to my knowledge has an AIDS infection rate of 40% or higher, but there are some that are 25% or more (just my understanding).

Take a look at the CDC's traveler's health page and then talk to a travel doctor to find out what you are really at risk of. Hep-A is good to have when traveling outside of developed countries as it is spread through poor food preparation techniques.

Garrobo:
Most third and fourth world countries have anywhere from 40-80% HIV rates. A good example is the Bay Islands (Roatan).

Do you have anything even remotely authoratative to back up statistics like these?

Most third and fourth world countriies? 8 out of 10? Honduras?

This is, of course, absurd. Be safe and know the risks when you travel, but, don't be ridiculous.

OHGoDive:
Do you have anything even remotely authoratative to back up statistics like these?

Most third and fourth world countriies? 8 out of 10? Honduras?

This is, of course, absurd. Be safe and know the risks when you travel, but, don't be ridiculous.

There is controversy about the HIV rates of third world nations. Given the limited resources of such countries, screening for HIV is limited and so infections rates are guessimates and often contaminated by including any unexplained illness as HIV. Cynics claim the rates are inflated to draw more international attention to the problem, but I doubt this is true. I just think that epidemiology in many poor nations is far from an exact science.

The simple answer is: no one really knows the true HIV incidence in the world; I doubt the rates are this high, nevertheless I would assume the incidence is much higher than the US, particularly among those working the pleasure industries, so to speak.

shakeybrainsurgeon:
There is controversy about the HIV rates of third world nations. Given the limited resources of such countries, screening for HIV is limited and so infections rates are guessimates and often contaminated by including any unexplained illness as HIV. Cynics claim the rates are inflated to draw more international attention to the problem, but I doubt this is true. I just think that epidemiology in many poor nations is far from an exact science.

The simple answer is: no one really knows the true HIV incidence in the world; I doubt the rates are this high, nevertheless I would assume the incidence is much higher than the US, particularly among those working the pleasure industries, so to speak.

I took a quick look at the CIA's numbers. Botswana and Zimbabwe "lead" the way. Some estimates put the Botswana rate at 1/3, others at 1/4. Much, much higher than the U.S. (below 1%). In many places in the world it's safe to assume that nearly 100% of sex workers are infected.

Tetanus and Hep A&B for sure. Simply because these are so easy to contract.
Others are destination specific, but I would have these even if I never traveled.

Thomjinx

I don't mean to pick on our new member here, but I see this as the worst advice possible...
Best way I think is to contact the divecenters or locals prior your trip - while you book it. Mostly the diver - resorts have allready that kind of info on their websites.
They're just not going to give objective warnings, even if they use authoritative sources.
talonraid:
There is no way I would trust some locals to tell me what immunizations I should get. Just my personal technique, I'm not saying you're wrong. But, I think I would rely upon the Centers for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/ backed by some semblance of science and not the local dive shop or resort to determine what diseases I should be concerned with.

If "Joe Blow Dive Resort and Hotel" disagree with the CDC on what kind of weird diseases exist in their country and says immunizations are not needed....and someone gets Hep A or Hep B......who are you gonna blame? Remember, it's just a technique.
Yep.

Much of this will depend on where you're going, and some decisions likely to be made. I have my Hep A&B vaccinations, but not for travel - just thot they were good ideas. For more dive resorts and areas in North America, Cent America, and the Carbie - the only precaution I'd take beyond living in Texas would be the Malaria prophylactic and spray with insect repellent. But then, I won't handle animals or eat from street vendors.

And I think some of the Aids information given above is way out of line, but then I go to dive, not score. The most recent study available from the CDC is a few years o.ld, but put the Aids rate for Honduras at 2%

Here are the CDC recommendations for Mexico and Cent Amer, with some notes I'll add...
The following vaccines may be recommended for your travel to Mexico and Central America. Discuss your travel plans and personal health with a health-care provider to determine which vaccines you will need.

Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG). Transmission of hepatitis A virus can occur through direct person-to-person contact; through exposure to contaminated water, ice, or shellfish harvested in contaminated water; or from fruits, vegetables, or other foods that are eaten uncooked and that were contaminated during harvesting or subsequent handling. I did this one just for eating out in Texas.

Hepatitis B, especially if you might be exposed to blood or body fluids (for example, health-care workers), have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment. Hepatitis B vaccine is now recommended for all infants and for children ages 11–12 years who did not receive the series as infants. I did this one just because it's a good idea overall - not for travel.

Malaria: if you are traveling to a malaria-risk area in this region, see your health care provider for a prescription antimalarial drug. For details concerning risk and preventive medications, see Malaria Information for Travelers to Central America and Mexico. Here, be careful of some physicians or druggists giving you the wrong med for the wrong strain. The one for this area is once a week, pretty benign.

Rabies, if you might have extensive unprotected outdoor exposure in rural areas, such as might occur during camping, hiking, or bicycling, or engaging in certain occupational activities. That's a bit much to me.

Typhoid vaccine. Typhoid fever can be contracted through contaminated drinking water or food, or by eating food or drinking beverages that have been handled by a person who is infected. Large outbreaks are most often related to fecal contamination of water supplies or foods sold by street vendors I don't.

Yellow fever, a viral disease that occurs primarily in sub-Saharan Africa and tropical South America, is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected mosquitoes. The virus is also present in Panama and Trinidad and Tobago. Yellow fever vaccination is recommended for travelers to endemic areas and may be required to cross certain international borders (For country specific requirements, see Yellow Fever Vaccine Requirements and Information on Malaria Risk and Prophylaxis, by Country.). Vaccination should be given 10 days before travel and at 10 year intervals if there is on-going risk. Not for my travels.

As needed, booster doses for tetanus-diphtheria and measles. A very good idea over all.

Back
Top Bottom