Oriskany dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayJudge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was going to put this in Florida, but I figured we are Mid Atlantic Bottom Feeders, so here:
Dove March 23 Oriskany Gulf of Mexico
Vis 40-60
Temp 66F
What can I say- its an aircraft carrier! There was an amazing amount of life on it for being down 10 mths. We saw trumpet fish, banded shrimp, Gobies, Queen Angel, etc. Our mixes were too hot to go to the flight deck, if you go, the boats want to see 30% or less- in case you drop too far- we had 32 when our tanks cooled. The ship is really clean inside- no cables etc, unlike a lot of reefs. If I were to go again, I think I'd wait a year though, let more life get there.

March 24
dive 1: Pete Tide
One of the best reefs I've seen, lots of fairly easy penetrations, (with proper guidance and training), lots of life. Depths 110 or less. Temp 66. Vis 60-70
dive 2: Russian Freighter aka San Pablo
Real wreck, very broken up (wire dragged) you name it, the fish was probably there. Would make a great spearfishing site- flounder snapper, grouper- food city. Saw a few toad fish, moray eel, huge cucumbers. (sorry I can't name more, I suck at fish ID-more interested in wrecks) Haning on the line at 50 or so feet, an entire school of Angels- unbelievable. Temp 66 Vis 80 Depth 85
dive 3: USS Massachusettes
OK, so everyone else was too burned out to hit this one, so the DM and I splashed. We weren't sure if we were going to get there in time- has to be at slack tide, so I had brought 2 sets of doubles for the day, figuring we'd hit something else. After splashing, I dropped all the way to 21 ftsw and hugged the sand to the wreck. Everywhere above me were Jellies- fascinating. The size of this wreck is unbelievable. The armor is 18 inches thick. We went inside the place the turrets sat, dropped below the sand to 30 odd. Sponges spider crabs, etc. The DM gave a great tour, inside, outside, just awesome. Surge was getting worse, so we headed back to the boat. Saw a guy spearfishing- I think he did a double take on me, after all, what type of airhog needs doubles on a 20 ft wreck!
All in all, one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. Gonna go again.
-Jay

Sounds like a lot of fun. Which operator did you use?

Willie

Viking Diving, Captain Tim Thorsen. Great outfit, 6 pack boat- I hate cattle boats, and thats what MBT seems to run.
-Jay

FYI-

The San Pablo was not wire dragged, (or topredoed by a U Boat, or even Russian, for that matter). Not sure where all the mythology came from, but she was blown up testing experimental weapons during WW2.

The S.S. San Pablo was a refrigerated cargo steamer built in 1915 in Ireland. The ship had
three decks and a steel hull. It’s length was 315 feet and she had a 49 foot beam. Prior to
World War II, the San Pablo was owned by Central American merchants and mainly shipped
fruit between Caribbean ports. Like all other merchant vessels, during World War II the San
Pablo became a target for the German submarines who sought to disrupt commerce
worldwide.

In May 1942, a U-boat intercepted and fired on San Pablo as she sailed near the Yucatan
Channel. The San Pablo was unarmed and so frantically maneuvered in an attempt to outrun
the submarine. Finally, the Key West command center bluffed the Germans by radioing that
air support was on the way. The U-boat submerged which allowed the San Pablo to escape to
safety in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica.

Unfortunately, the San Pablo was not safe for long. While unloading cargo at the same port in
July, the German submarine U-161 fired two torpedoes which struck the San Pablo midship.
The ship quickly sank, killing all 23 men aboard. The masts and superstructure remained
above water.

In early 1943, the ship was raised and towed to Tampa for repairs. However, the War
Shipping Administration declared the San Pablo a total loss. She was then towed to
Pensacola and sunk in September 1943 for use in target practice. Later it was decided that
the ship was a hazard to navigation, so it was destroyed by explosives.

The wreck is now mostly debris, but the boilers and stern section are somewhat intact. The
wreckage sits in 75-85 feet of water less than ten miles from Pensacola Pass. Many
fishermen frequent the wreck which has attracted a large marine community. Grouper,
snapper, cobia, flounder, and schools of baitfish frequent the wreck. Many consider the spot
great for photography and visibility of 100 feet has been reported at times.

This wreck is also known locally as the "Russian Freighter", but nobody knows how the San
Pablo came to called this.
Got this off the web, multiple places....but may be incorrect like any other web based crap....some of the myths about Jersey wrecks go the same way...
-Jay

Most of that is correct. I'll see if I can find the research on the weapons testing.

Yea, it is funny how the myths grown isn't it?

H

Awesome report. Thanks for the vicarious dive trip...as I sit here in 30 degree weather with snow flakes dancing on this morning's cold northwest wind.

We were in Key Largo back in early February - a great 10 dive trip - and we're going to Pompano Beach with our dive club in late May. In between, well, I'm having a hard time breathing this 1 ata air.

You helped me catch my breath, if only for a moment.

Mountain Dog

MTDog,
there are plenty of places in WV to dive, Mt Storm, Summersville, and depending where you live, PA,VA,KY. Too many divers think the ocean is the only place to dive, hell, there are old towns they flooded 'round here. So, unless you find Atlantis, thats one we have the ocean doesn't....
Chickdiver,
I'd be interested in further research if you come across any. With the freedom of info act, most WW2 testing is available. And, whatever sank it, that is one of the more interesting dives in that area.
-Jay

Was at Storm on friday dudes. Air temp 22 for first dive then 31 for second. Water temps 55- 53 at 90. Were two other divers from Lancaster Pa. Hung with them for about 5 minutes then solo'd for the rest of the time. Did not do saturday due to a couple inches of fresh snow and with 60 some odd pounds of gear on did not want to risk an injury just getting into the water with no one else around.

hey jim:

I see you survived the fury of mt.storm.

How was your trip & how many dives did you do?:D

Air definently sucked but i was surprised that the water temp was at least 60 de. f.

Judgeing from you last post i quess no one else went down their.

Glad to see at least a few other people were their.

How was the vis & could you see at least 20 '.

Anyway, with all of the ****ey weather you had glad to see you made it back.

Back
Top Bottom