Why was this thread closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If moving the poll to Whine and Cheeze instead of Kudos will change the outcome of the poll, I will have to sue Orans just like us Europeans amongst ourselves can :D

We won't be needing Andy but we might need a big barn to obscure the view.

links dont work for me so i have no idea what youre talking aboot.... but for Andy to question why then the mods must have been incorrect :D

andy's da man!

Since mods seem to prefer deleting individual posts, allowing the main thread to continue, closing any thread doesn't make any sense. Acceptable times to close a thread are when people will not stop fighting, name calling, etc, in a thread. In this case, closing the thread is the last option. If anyone DOES delete or close a thread, they should post as the last reply in the thread the reason why something was done. Otherwise you're functioning as secret police, with no moderation of moderators. It would also be nice to see which moderators are doing what, so we have some accountability.

What about those of us who simply read the last page or two, and post a reply to what was said last (or very close to last).

I always assume that what I read in a thread is at least marginally related to the original topic. Apparently naive of me.

I usually just respond to what was said recently in a long thread. It's probably rare that I manage to post anything even closely related to the original posting. Even when I was the OP.

I suppose that should mean that I should get used to seeing many of my posts removed, yes?

Who decides what is off-topic exactly? If I start a thread about, oh, say, "Is diving in Cancun any good?", and people weigh in, and someone says, "Yes, but Belize is better", then everyone starts talking about how good or bad Belize diving is... you could certainly say that any thread mentioning Belize was off-topic, right? Would they be removed?

Sometimes thought just naturally leads to other ideas. Communication and all. This can get confusing.

I like the discussion on Scubaboard... not the orderliness of it all.

OHGoDive:
Who decides what is off-topic exactly? If I start a thread about, oh, say, "Is diving in Cancun any good?", and people weigh in, and someone says, "Yes, but Belize is better", then everyone starts talking about how good or bad Belize diving is... you could certainly say that any thread mentioning Belize was off-topic, right? Would they be removed?
They would be moved to another thread.

El Orans:
They would be moved to another thread.

Really? I mean, does that actually happen on a regular basis, or only when someone complains that their OP is being rerouted?

It seems a very difficult task, at least in that case. I mean, on the one hand, you asked about Cancun, but, on the other hand, it might be in your best interest to know that Belize might be better. Right? Sort of subjective, but, good info nonetheless.

How do mod's make the distinction about what is off-topic and irrelevant, and what is off-topic and useful?

Are there guidelines, or is it up to the OP, or is it just up to the mood and mod that looks at a thread?

SkullDeformity:
...snip...Otherwise you're functioning as secret police, with no moderation of moderators. It would also be nice to see which moderators are doing what, so we have some accountability.

Accountability:confused: , what exactly do you or I do that entitles us to hold them accountable? You pay their wages? I know I don't.

SkullDeformity:
It would also be nice to see which moderators are doing what, so we have some accountability.
That's easy, I do everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom