Wetsuit Questions--Women Input Needed Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometime this week I will probably check out the Henderson wetsuit at Beach Cities Scuba in Huntington Beach (where I'm taking my class.), hopefully they will have a 14 for me to try on. Then I'm going to try on a Coral Reef one piece in a XL (no numbers here). thank you.
cdreamer:
In the Henderson Hyperstretch, a 14 would most likely fit. It REALLY stretches
where you need it to.

I'm also in So Cal and use a 7mm. I ordered from ScubaToys.com a Bare 7mm full, front-zip with attached hood. I like it a lot. The only problem I have is that I usually need someone to help me get my arms out of it (thank goodness for my buddy!).

But I like the fact that it has zippers at the ankles, which makes it easy to put on and having the attached hood is one less part I have to pack. The sizing is odd because I had to order a different size than I'm accustomed to, but it fits well!

hope this helps!

Hi Guppy,

I am still actively diving the custom 7mm one-piece wetsuit I ordered from JMJ Wetsuits [ http://www.jmjwetsuits.com/ ] 3 1/2 years ago.

I was a solid size 14 at the time, and every stock suit I tried on was much too difficult to don and doff. Each was too tight in some places and too loose in others.

The JMJ suit was custom tailored, and a snap to put on. It fit me perfectly for 2 solid years of diving. I added a custom 7mm hooded-vest for winters.

Now I dive dry most of the time, and the JMJ is my wetsuit for shallow summer dives and lobster hunting. I lost some weight, and JMJ re-tailored the suit so it fits well again.

The owners, Jon, Marta, and Jeff, are skilled, friendly, and knowlegeable. They offer several styles of suits. Many, MANY, SoCal divers have JMJ suits and all are very happy with them.

I highly recommend them. A custom suit is the easiest thing to don and doff. And since no part of the suit is stretched (compressed) more than any other part, you are warm all over.

My 27-cents worth :)

~~~~
Claudette

I dive custom wetsuits made by Liquid Fit... Having said that, I strongly endorse the notion that you should try henderson hyperstretch in whatever the largest size the shop has..... I wear a woman's 28 (somewhere between humongous and Omar the tent maker) -- but I looked at a 14 hyperstretch... and it had lots of possibility... so don't rule it out until you've tried it.

Good luck!!!

Liz

So Cal Guppy:
I have been thinking of binding my chest with ACE bandage :rofl3: , no sticky and flesh-removing duc tape. yicks! thank you, that makes 2 for Pacific Wilderness and 2 for Teresa. :) 2 size larger! my goodness. were there other women in your class when you got certified? Just curious.

Sorry...I forked over for "private" lessons because my schedule's too insane to bear a couple weekends' worth of classes.... So it was just me and one other person (guy) in my OW group. Got rental suits for the lake dives, water was like 55 or so...I survived.

I just dove 3 days in Catalina this weekend in the 7mm HyperStretch, water was 57-59 degrees...wasn't cold at all after the first couple minutes (initial water entry). Oh....and very stretchy :wink:

Try the 14 Hyperstretch if you have a chance. My Hyperstretch size was 2 sizes smaller than my street clothes size. It was a 3mm, though -- not sure if the thicker suits would be different, but worth a try.

The "AquaSuede" Hyperstretch (the silver ones) suits are supposed to be more resistant to snagging from velcro and so forth.

Good luck. Wet suit sizing is insane.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was terribly busy during my spring break last week and now it's April 2nd and school resumes tomorrow (ack!). I start class 1 week and 2 days from this Wednesday. April 11th. I'm nervous about not knowing the answers right away.

custom all the way!!! I have a Coral Reef wetsuit. Love it and it's in westminster.

Thank you BioNerd and for your PM. My head hurts from watching the dvd and reading just makes it worse.

So Cal Guppy:
Thank you BioNerd and for your PM. My head hurts from watching the dvd and reading just makes it worse.

You're gonna do fine! Good luck to ya....and keep us posted!:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom